Sign in to follow this  
leongsoon

Selespeed gearshift not responding

Hi guys! Another week, another selespeed question, let's hope this doesn't become a normality shall we :|

2 weeks back, while I was driving, the car stopped changing gears when I push the gearstick up or down. Fortunately the steering controls still work, so I could still drive the car properly. When I pulled over, I managed to use the stick to bring the car into N and R, all gear selection with the stick worked properly after that.

Today, after reversing the car out of my driveway, I couldn't get to any other gear using the stick; no forward gears and not even N. I had to turn the ignition off and restart the car before the stick will operate normally again.

Is there any servicing of the gearstick switch I can do to fix this problem, or is this a software problem?

It is more likely to just require the gearstick connector disconnecting and reconnecting flolowed by a clearing of the fault codes or one of the 4 microswitches in the stick housing is jamming up.

It is more likely to just require the gearstick connector disconnecting and reconnecting flolowed by a clearing of the fault codes or one of the 4 microswitches in the stick housing is jamming up.

Alright, I did something stupid; I disconnected the shifter and cleaned the contacts. Then I reconnected them and realised I have no cable or software to clear the error codes. Is there anyway I can clear the error codes without cable and software? The car will start but not accept any input from the shifter now and CITY is displayed with the gear indicator, can't turn that off either :(

Alright, I did something stupid; I disconnected the shifter and cleaned the contacts. Then I reconnected them and realised I have no cable or software to clear the error codes. Is there anyway I can clear the error codes without cable and software? The car will start but not accept any input from the shifter now and CITY is displayed with the gear indicator, can't turn that off either :(

Short answer, no.

Alright, guess I better get the cable then! Only thing putting me off it for so long is cause I'm confused which one to get. Please help me take a look and see if any of these will do Smaky:

1. http://preview.tinyurl.com/6qgswyy

2. http://www.mudah.my/Elm327+usb+v1+2-14636691.htm

3. http://www.mudah.my/OBD2+OBDII+ELM327+B ... 963948.htm

From FiatECUScan's website I'm aware the last 2 might need some modifications to get around the CAN error. Or is there anything you'll recommend? Thanks a lot for the time Smaky, appreciate it :)

182579_10150866274596035_342305150_n.jpg

Alright! I bought a VAGCOM cable off eBay, but was worried it might be faulty after the long wait for it to arrive, so I went ahead and found a slightly pricier ELM327 locally! It arrived today and after some tinkering I managed to clear the Selespeed error codes, I didn't even need to modify the ELM327 interface. Car is back in action now! Thanks Smaky!