Sign in to follow this  
Dave

A Fool and his money.........

A sad tale for you guys where the heart has over ruled the head, with what could be dire consequences.

Been looking for a 156 for a while and had one lined up which never came to fruition at that point I was shall we say a little dejected had been looking forward to a new toy.

To cut a long story short recieved a call from an old friend who works in a dealers in Weston Supermare. A 156 Tourismo JTS had been offered as part exchange and they didn't want so did I ? Chatted thru all the usual mileage mot tax etc etc. Sounds like a good deal so off to weston I shot on the train.

Looking at the beast she looked tidy enough body wise, interior was(is) filthy, sounded ok when run up, took her for a spin and seemed pretty nippy (compared with the Vectra B that I am stuck with at the mo) some checkered service history and cam belt done 30k ago.

Well I bought said car at good price.

Driving back from weston to the fun starts.

1) Stopped in a layby to fiddle check out things and locked unlocked etc and the alarm/central locking on the keyfob stopped working although the little led on the key lights.

2)Lights on, have bulb warning (drivers side tail light) but intermittently this and the idicator light for lights go off and on while the lights are on. Far as I can tell the lights are all functioning.

Few miles later and now we get to the real fun :-(

3) Start to hear a whine from the drivers side of engine, matches engine revs exactly, thinking alternator bearings or something on aux belt but have no real idea.

4) Temperature gauge only reading 50-70 although when sitting in traffic rises to just under 90 ish so think sensor is ok.

5) Dual climate can set temp on passenger side but drivers side doesn't seem to want to set correctly twiddling the knob doesn't change anything !

I am sure there are more things wrong I just haven't found them yet !

Other than that there are some good points ! tyres are good, just had new discs and pads at rear, loved the drive and its good to drive something which isn't wallowy like being in a boat on the corners (vectra).

The $64,000,000 dollar question now is where do I go and what do I do ?

Can anyone recomend someone local to Marlborough wilts who might be able to come out and have a quick look and pronounce dead or give some estimate guidance ??

Can live without the alarm if I have too, thermostat obviously needs changing, belts I am guessing will be needed and all in a good service.

You would think by my age (48) I would have learnt if something looks/sounds too good to be true it probably is.

So I have been a fool and quite probably blown my budget, not a good plan when ya out of work, too impetuous and I should have taken more notice and not followed my heart.

Any advice suggestions would be gratefuly recieved.

Dave

Thanks LJ_GTA hopefully Smaky may be able to help, just feel like a right doughnut !

Hows watfordshire ? used to leave right in the middle there before I legged it off down wiltshire way.

Thanks

Dave

The bulb indicator issue is a common one. Mine said I had bulbs out all the time. Its a simple fix, something like a fuse or the like but I can't remember what. :$

I would worry about the whine the most, it could be a tensioner. Iirc the cam belt interval is just over 30k. It is on the v6's anyway. I know through experience that its something not to ignore!

As LJ says, smaky is local to you and knows his stuff, if you ask really nicely he might be able to come have a gander.

Thanks LJ_GTA hopefully Smaky may be able to help, just feel like a right doughnut !

Hows watfordshire ? used to leave right in the middle there before I legged it off down wiltshire way.

Thanks

Dave

:thumbs: look on the bright side, i went to look at a GTA that was unroadworthy, leaking rad, brakes were pitted, it wouldn't even start & the battery was knackered. Travelled all the way to exeter twice & ended up buying it :LOL: couldnt use it for a month as the cambelt was 2 years overdue aswell :facepalm: im sure yours will get sorted though :thumbs:

Watford's about the same really, nothing much changes tbh. Someone threatened to kill the mayor because there were plans to get rid of the pond in the highstreet i think :LOL: where abouts did you used to live in watford?

I get all bulb failures when its cold on mine, and when the petrol light comes on too :)

Pond in the high street last time I saw that it was looking particularly hideous ! but added a little to the highstreet I guess.

Used to live in Cross Street just round the corner from the estcourt tavern enjoyed it mostly, work brought me this way!

Was driving a white triumph spitfire when I was there, now that was a fun little car and as I am six foot five was definitely a little car !

Think i know where that pub is :thumbs: down by the station? (ish) all victorian terraced houses :).

They got rid of all the terrapins in there now (they were eating the ducks) but its still manky & full of mcdonalds bags :LOL:

Thats the right neck of the woods although a bit nearer the town centre than the station near a pub called "druids" I think it is now.

Pond used to be full of all sorts of things from what I remember most probably best not mentioned apart from the selection of beer cans and bottles !

Not too far off then :thumbs: that pond has taken some abuse over the years, not too long ago it had bubble bath poured in so the fountain made it quite frothy :LOL:

Now from what I remember that used to be a regular christmas trick ! :LOL:

Think we may have even done that during "rag week" when I was up at the college there ! :$

They got rid of 1 smaller water fountain thing by the flyover (by sainsbury's) as it kept getting that done to it :LOL:

I think smaky is near wilts?? Maybe he could help :).

I'm not far away, about 30 mins to Marl bog horror from me.

The issues as I read them,

Cambelt is probably overdue (3 years or 36K miles whichever is soonest),

Whining noise is probably the Aux belt tensioner or Idler, again shabby previous care of the vehicle will have allowed this,

Climate control temp adjust, well it's unfortunately common for the rollers in the unit to fall out of place inside and this means the dials dont click as they should and so don't know they are being moved,

Thermostat is stuck open, so scommon I'm thinking of making it part of the cambelt change kit,

The alarm is either going to be an easy fix or a complete bar steward, if it's just a key issue then no problem at all, if it's the alarm box hen yourlooking towards the £000s.

Smaky

The issues as you read them are pretty much correct.

1) Thermostat I am thinking stuck wide open.

2) Whining which I think is AUX belt. Having dug through the pile of receipts the last cam belt change was 33k or 32 months ago and wait for it, the bill shows waterpump, cambelt, aux belt but no mention of tensioners/idlers so these were not replaced.

3) Climate could be down to me not knowing exactly how to run the thing !

4) Alarm well bingo on that one now seem to have a keyfob which locks the car (locking one beep and then about 10 seconds later a second beep)

Starts first time :D

What I could do with is someone to take a look and then knock my rose tinted glasses off and tell me how it really is.

If I have bought a "pig" then I will look at disposing of in some way and salvage some of my "investment", if the little thing is worth saving I will get sorted.

I am not without some mechanical knowledge, although lets just say it was on previous generation of cars (mostly old Triumphs) but to be honest there is so much going on under the bonnet that I almost don't recognise this as an engine !

Would be grateful for any help you could offer Smaky.

BTW has 114k on clock and is an 02 plate JTS.

She is all tucked up in the garage now.

Thanks

Dave

There's nothing major in the list, the alarm isonly an optional repair as you can still lock it with the key.

Thanks Smaky will send you PM.

Done at least I think so says sent but still sitting in the outbox, bit new to this forum message thing !

Dave

It will stay in the outbox until the recipient reads it :thumbs: