Sign in to follow this  
Rewe

GTV alarm problems

A quick guide which I'll edit when I get more time...

I changed the battery on my GTV and somehow triggered the alarm. I never had any fobs with my keys and couldn't disarm it. The alarm in a GTV has nothing to do with the immobiliser; they are completely different systems. There is a company called Abacus (I think) that can fix most problems with the Meta alarm that should be installed, but as I didn't use the alarm, I went for a DIY approach:

1. Remove the carpeted panel from the side of the passenger foot well (three screws)

2. Locate the control module. It is about the size of a box of fags and should be located somewhere behind the radio that you have now exposed.

3. Unplug all the wires

4. (Optional) smash it up with a hammer

5. Put the carpeted panel back.

Job done. :thumbs:

Note - I've never owned a phase 1 but believe the module is located somewhere else. Up behind the dash rings a bell. If you know, would you mind finishing this guide?

You could always send it to abacus alarms who will recode and send you two new fobs for £99. Did it for our spider which never cmae with any fobs. Now we have remote cetral loccking and a fully working alarm

This guide involves smashing things with a hammer... its gets a hearty :like: and +1 from me. :D

Pop bonnet, remove RHS plastic arch cover and you'll see the sounder, unplug and lob in the bin :LOL:

Just revived a GTV and when I connected the battery the indicators all started flashing, although the siren wasn't sounding. Tried turning it off under the bonner as advised above...which made no differnce. Chopped the wires to the sounder - which made no difference. So since I can't for the life of me remember where the control unit for the alarm is on a Ph 1 - can anyone enlighten me, please......

I can't say for sure, but I seem to remember someone said it was under the dash somewhere close to the back of the filler cap switch.

Most Ph1 will have the alarm control module behind the clocks, the speedo and rev counter I mean. Lower the steering wheel as far as you can. Remove the 2 cap head screws in between the dials. Gently but forcefully wiggle the binnacle towards you, the bottom of it is only held in by 2 spring clips. You will see a black box behind the dials, the alarm brain.