Sign in to follow this  
cambio

159 first year notes and hit list

Hi all, i'm new (ish) to alfas, although i have driven fiats for 15 years beforehand so i sort of know what to expect! its a solid car and compared well to the germans i drove when looking without everyone treating you like something they stepped in!. big step in build compared to 156 but a bit too much mass (with knock ons for fuel and dynamics).

I have a small hit list for my 159 (or vectra if you prefer) that have come up in the last year, wonder if anyone can help? or just :poke:

1. central locking - console button will lock but not unlock doors, can unlock by pulling drivers door pull. indie has spent several hours swapping switches, solenoids etc and came to the conclusion I'd have to live with it... :censored:

I'm suspecting wiring loom from switch to control module? It does occasionally unlock itself randomnly...

2. knocking front right suspension. same indie thought it 'could' be an upper arm but couldn't be sure, though offered to do it for me for the sum of £300...I politely declined. Anyway, I can happily do it myself (when its a bit warmer out) but where is the best source of arms, I heard about cheap chocolate 156 ones and I cant be a$$ed to do the job twice.

3. air con. leaky pipe, quoted about 300 quid to replace and re gas. Think I might identify and buy the pipe & it should be an easyish swap, bumpers and so on permitting.

4. alignment.

car pulls to left and steering wheel isnt centred. I've had this looked at by 3 different places and had it reset including the 4 wheel print outs all looking ok but still the problem remains. I'm getting close to getting it up to pete cambridge to spend £100 on getting it sorted but apparently it could be subframe misaligned (was dropped for a rack replace I assume so could be put back out)

apart from that its gone ok for he last year or so and 16k miles...oh apart from a few squeeks and rattles and knocks, must get the door seal lube out again :rolleyes:

cheers i'll give them a ring. Car is in for a service at palmer and phillips today, they came recommended so i'll see how much they can supply bits for too. TBH i only want the service book stamped otherwise i'd diy. They called earlier to say the front brakes are shot, which i knew, strangely the box of discs and pads on the shelf in the garage doesnt seem to be fitting itself :rolleyes: looks like i'll be doing it on the weekend then. in the snow. (cue violin)

Car pulling to the left - misaligned subframe is highly possible if your favourite indie was involved with the rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk! Because I'm on tour!

cheers have read about that, an accident repair place might be worth a visit.

brakes done yesterday. 2 minor issues:- a sheared stud on the little plate that clamps the brake pipe to the upright (enough thread left to get another nut on so no big issue) and the caliper bolts being a bit of a fecker to get off, threadlock and the end of the bolts pokes through the caliper so get crudded up. loads of plusgas and waiting helped. aftermarket discs wouldnt accept the disc retaining screws either. i now have a dented left knee courtesy of caliper bolt undoing. also, diesel heaters are very good, almost marriage material :D