Sign in to follow this  
SpiderMonkey

Is there a DIY wheel refurb kit?

dremel, sandpaper, masking tape, paint... its really easy.

Using filler or chemical metal in wheels has always seemed very dodgy to me. They take way too many impacts for it to not crack.

When I refurbed wheels I used to grind down any scuffing and just sort of blend it into the rest of the rim. Even some quite big chunks once smoothed out and painted become almost un-noticeable unless you were inspecting the wheels up close.

The only thing is, unless you know the exact colour code of the paint on your wheels, its normally best to do all four else you will end up with odd colours.

dremel, sandpaper, masking tape, paint... its really easy.

Using filler or chemical metal in wheels has always seemed very dodgy to me. They take way too many impacts for it to not crack.

When I refurbed wheels I used to grind down any scuffing and just sort of blend it into the rest of the rim. Even some quite big chunks once smoothed out and painted become almost un-noticeable unless you were inspecting the wheels up close.

The only thing is, unless you know the exact colour code of the paint on your wheels, its normally best to do all four else you will end up with odd colours.

I've done a couple of sets and you can get a much better finish than you think with patience and good preparation. I've actually used body filler in small scuffs on one set that still looked good five years later, no cracks, nothing fell out and they survived a trip to the tyre fitting bay. I've got to do my teles soon - I'll do a photoguide (and not post it if they turn out rubbish! :LOL: )