Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

Questions re: 2001 156 2.0 Twinspark

Smaky, I have just come back from playing in a friends 156 2.0TS and I have a couple of questions for you on his behalf.

First though.. Fuck I love his car!! Is the TS engine normally a much freer revving and more responsive engine? I noticed a lot less grunt.. but it was SO Much more fun than the JTS! Is that common or do I just have a slothy motor?

Anyway. the questions:

1. His engine temp is sitting at 70 degrees whilst on the move, and 90 on idle.. time for a stat change?

2. He asked me if he can upgrade the software on his sillyspeed (MY2001) What are your thoughts on upgrading Selespeed Software? And how is it done?

3. His clutch adjustment is set to 30mm.. Whilst his gear changes are silky smooth.. we are going to fix that and bring it back to 28mm.. will that speed the box up a little?

4. Given his box is frankly working as perfectly as I could ever imagine a sillyspeed could.. is there any point in rectifying the rod length? What are the consequences of leaving it as is?

5. bugger.. I can't remember 5.. there was a 5 I'm sure of it.

Thanks ! :yay:

4 yes, if the rods too long then it exerts extra pressure on the release bearing which if left will melt and then take out the clutch then box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk! Because I'm on tour!

I thought that would be the case for #4... What about the other questions, particularly regarding the software update..?

#1, yes new stat req'ed.

100% agree the Twin Spark is a much nicer engine compared to the JTS. Although i am running LPG with my JTS and i get more grin when the gas runs out and i'm back on petrol.

Just read the whole post.. what a great story! Was the motor more lively after the head clean up? And how long did it take for it to sloth up again?

Much nicer to drive hafter it was cleaned up, i also think the LPG has prevented it form getting that bad as quick because when i'm running it with petrol only it really is a joy to drive.

Very interesting.. I just spent a fortune replacing the motor after a cam belt snap and big end bearings. having read your post, i'm kicking myself for going as far as replacing the motor now.

With what I know now about sourcing part overseas, I could have done it at a fraction of the cost. Such is life.

The new engine is great, only 50,000kms.. 2004 model. I have no idea how gummed up the head is, but it definitely feels flat compared to the TS.. still has more power and torque.. just flat - especially above 4000rpm.

If we had a Smaky equivalent here in Melbourne, life would be easier :)