Sign in to follow this  
SpiderMonkey

Engine light on 2.2JTS

Assumption being the mother of all fuck ups but I'm going to assume based on this and your other thread.

engine light comes on

You took car to dealer

they read code and told you car was running rough because the timing was out.

Your having work done under warranty.

Assumption being the mother of all fuck ups but I'm going to assume based on this and your other thread.

engine light comes on

You took car to dealer

they read code and told you car was running rough because the timing was out.

Your having work done under warranty.

Which result in them replacing the exhaust cam and HP fuel pump, it's a common fault on the 2.2, a design fault if you will (and I wasn't involved in that).

Exactly right Smaky, they are now trying to say it isn't covered by the warranty because it didn't snap? therefore it is a maintenance issue.

35000 miles, serviced at 18000 so next not due till 36000?, timing chain intervals are 90000 so why is it not covered?

This proved to be the downfall of the 2.0 JTS and it is looking like they haven't learned on the 2.2, the problem is the drive pegs on the pump to wear and this causes the pump to rattle as it spins, this stress eventually shears the pegs off and your left with a HP fuel pump that doesnt pump and acts as a restrictor, massive loss in power and warning light. It's a flawed design imo and they need to beef it up, but cost will be stoping them and they'll hope not too many fail.

22HpPump.jpg

seems very wrong that it isnt covered under warranty if its a known fault!

There's known faults and theres KNOWN FAULTS, if it doesn't pose a safety hazard then it wont make the KNOWN FAULTS list and wont be honoured under warranty (without a fight) or get as far as a recall. It's one of those things the bean counters have decided will cost less to fix as it occurs than it will cost to sort in one go.

Any news?

Yeah, £798.00 for the cam chain kit and installation and they tried for another £106.00 for an aluminium engine brace/mount? I told them to jam it as far as the bar was concerned.

RAC warranty refuse to pay out because it didn't snap and damage the engine! I'm so pissed off :mad:

Is that it then, no recourse. you've got to pay for it all yourself?

RAC flatly refused to pay out, Ann is taking legal action but as it stands we have to pay the lot :tut:

Bag o' shite that :( Good lick with the legal battle (small claims?) you never know they might fold and offer to pay up when the solicitors letter lands on the door mat.

Any news?

Yeah, £798.00 for the cam chain kit and installation and they tried for another £106.00 for an aluminium engine brace/mount? I told them to jam it as far as the bar was concerned.

RAC warranty refuse to pay out because it didn't snap and damage the engine! I'm so pissed off :mad:

Have you tried taking it up with ARUK yet? as at 35K the engine should not be wearing like that and as it is a design fault they should be accepting responsibility, even if only partial as they don't know how you look after the car?

Any news?

Have you tried taking it up with ARUK yet? as at 35K the engine should not be wearing like that and as it is a design fault they should be accepting responsibility, even if only partial as they don't know how you look after the car?

Mrs SM has sent a legal letter to ARUK so fingers crossed :thumbs: