Sign in to follow this  
AFLA

Selespeed Pump Motor Aluminium Heat Sink!

Hi Folks,

As our very own selespeed unit is largely based on the original Ferrari 355 F1 unit, I find myself searching and learning stuff off of the Ferrarichat.com forum.

I do understand there might be of course certain differences from our setup (..."The Deluxe is the one with the real hair"...), but I do believe we can share some of our know-how.

So, while closely inspecting a robot pump dismantling set of pics, I noticed something was wrong and markedly different - It has a fascinating contraption - an aluminium heat sink strapped on to it!

Here is the robot pump dismantling exercise (you will need to register in order to view pics):

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showth ... =140452165

You will note the familiar accumulator and the Magneti Marelli pump and motor unit. Look at the heat sink attached to the motor.

Naturally I searched in frantic clicks for the heat sink. Found a description here:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/blog/?p=159

Benefits are up to 25% reduction in pump motor body heat.

However, for some reason, ricambiamerica do not list the item as being sold any longer. I will wait for their answer.

What do you think? Seems like a very nice add-on - Provided of course that it can fit within our allotted space...

Thanks to all.

Tuval

Discontinued due to it being a waste of time, all they did on Ferraris was collect heat from the engine bay and transfer it to the pump, the oomplete opposite from the purpose in the sales pitch for them. The reason we discerning Alfa Selespeed drivers don't have them is because of that and because when we designed it we placed the pump in one of the coolest areas of the car with constant airflow over it, even in the Fiat Stilo the pump is placed in an area with a high cooling flow of air (behind the gearbox) so as to eliminate the need for such tarty things like heatsinks.

Smaky, provided the area is cooler than the motor, would it not serve the purpose of quicker dissipation as opposed to being in a Ferrari hotter environmemt?

Smaky, provided the area is cooler than the motor, would it not serve the purpose of quicker dissipation as opposed to being in a Ferrari hotter environmemt?

It would, but pumps run for 15 seconds at the most first time as they prime the system then 3 to 4 seconds as required with system use/pressure drop, if the pump is building up enough heat to fry itself in that time period then you should be thinking about replacing it and checking the wiring and earths not fitting a heat sink.

So what actually fails? The pump itself or the motor?

Provided I check the wiring and earth, what else can go wrong that I should take care of as part of preventive maintenance?

So what actually fails? The pump itself or the motor?

Provided I check the wiring and earth, what else can go wrong that I should take care of as part of preventive maintenance?

The motor brushe wear out.