Sign in to follow this  
alfaholic 001

idling problem

ok guys so I just started and drove my 2l selespeed tonight after doing the cylinder head and I have a problem, the idling would just climb by itself to about 2000rpm in any gear, if I just tap the accelerator then it drops back down to normal for a short while

Also when I drive, its not all that smooth like before and once agen when I come to a stop, the revs will just climb to 2000rpm and drop on its own after about 3seconds

Any ideas????

Ceck the duct betwen the MAF and throttle body for splits, also ensure the clamps are tight at each end and the 4 torx for the TB are tight, check the 4 inlet tubes are tight to and that all plugs are properly connected, make sure the breather hoses are connected right and dont forget the brake vaumn line, then go for the much fabled throttle body reset, this may itself cure the problem, if it persists then clean the throttle body and check the plugs are torqued correctly, then if that hasn't solved it you need to start lookingat all the things you've been playing with through the work you've done.

Iv only had a chance to do the throttle body reset and unfortunately it has not sorted the problem, what I have also noticed is that when I come to a stop and the revs climb, the battery light flickers

Its tight, have not seen the battery light since, all pipes are fine and tight, throttle body reset, problem still exists, could it be the MAF? Also the air filter is a little blocked, could it cause the problem?

Oh yes and its running very very rich

Its tight, have not seen the battery light since, all pipes are fine and tight, throttle body reset, problem still exists, could it be the MAF? Also the air filter is a little blocked, could it cause the problem?

Oh yes and its running very very rich

What temperature is it running at?

I cleaned throttle body, checked all piping and wiring no visible faults, reset throttle again, problem is still there, in neutral if I rev up 3000rpm then it stays there for about 2 seconds, then slowly drops to 950rpm

I cleaned throttle body, checked all piping and wiring no visible faults, reset throttle again, problem is still there, in neutral if I rev up 3000rpm then it stays there for about 2 seconds, then slowly drops to 950rpm

Well you have 2 or more problems here then,

First the temperature fluctuations, that's a thermostat change which is required.

Secondly I think you may have a dodgy ICV on the throttle body if you have the cable operated one, if it's drive-by-wire then the TB itself is at fault.

Another guy told me that the big backfire could have cracked the intake manifold, is this possible?

Yes, as well as damage the throttle body and MAF.

I have another intake manifold but there are some metal filings inside it, I managed to get most of it out will a little bit of filings be a problem

Yes they will.

Yes. But check the earths for the engine and ECU for continuity first as if the engine isn't cutting out on you then it's more likely a minor wiring issue.

Uhm, I checked the wiring, everything seems fine, earths are clean and tight

I changed the engine speed sensor, cleared fault code. Still same problem and fault code reappears immediately after engine cuts out. It says P0725 engine speed

Uhm, I checked the wiring, everything seems fine, earths are clean and tight

I changed the engine speed sensor, cleared fault code. Still same problem and fault code reappears immediately after engine cuts out. It says P0725 engine speed

I would think i is definately a wiring issue now, have you checked the pins in the ECU from the engine loom plug?

Yup, I checked them, 1 was a little bent but I'm sure it still made contact, any ways I bent it back successfully. What would be my next step?

Remove that plug again and ensure it's still straight, if you like take a pic and upload it and I'll see which pin it was and what it's used for in the loom.