Sign in to follow this  
simples

SMAKY help needed gearbox malfunction!!

Evening all I purchased a 51 plate 147 T Spark Selespeed two weeks ago, 1 lady owner 70k on the clock with good service history excellent condition full electrics heated red leather seats blah blah blah. I paid £1650 which I think was a good price age and condition taken into consideration?

However, today there seems to be a problem engaging gears, the only gear that will engage is 2nd in both manual and city, the car will drive but no other gear can be selected once moving. I also noticed that sometimes it seems the engine revs when changing gears but not all the time?

Now, I have takent the time to read through a lot of the threads on here regarding the selespeed, but there are that many comments it would take me forever to find what I am looking for.

So can anyone tell me what the problem could be?

Thanks guys

2nd gear only, well that will need calibrating at the very least, Id also expect the clutch rod to be too short aswell, so adjust that first and then calibrate the system, if your down south then I'd beable to sort it for you.

I'd say from the description that the car is clunking to try and select first, failing and then going straight for second, thereafter the safety feature has kicked in and it's locked out gearchanges upwarsds, this is because the clutchrod is too short, normally from a worn out clutch but sometimes someones been fidling with it and not locked the nut after adjusting it and it winds itself back in with use, either way it will need to be set and then the actuator calibrated, software and a cable is required for this or if near wilts I can help out.

Phew! Merged all three topics an had a tidy up :thumbs:

I deleted a few posts that made no sense once threads were merged, if there is a problem please PM me :)

Thanks for that Smaky much appreciated from a non mechanically minded builder!!

I have checked the link you posted and I assume the software download needs to be purchased to get the full working program?

Indeed it does, but that with the cable you need will come to around UK£60, which is less than the first trip to a garage to sort it, of which there are very few that will entertain touching an Alfa.