Sign in to follow this  
keithyboy

No fuel

A bit of scene setting,

A few weeks ago I ran out of petrol or so I thought. I threw what I had in the can in and nursed it home and haven't used it since. We went on holiday and then there were the riots so I couldn't fill my can again so there it sat. When I came to it a week or so ago it wouldn't start and I still couldn't get any fuel. I threw a gallon in tonight so I'm certain that there is enough in the tank but it still won't start.

So far I've checked all the fuses and they are fine. I can feel a click when I turn the ignition on so that seems fine but there's no fuel. I've removed the line at the engine end and there's nowt but a drip and it's the same at the pump end (which bright spark decided to put the nuts for the cover plate under the back seat?).

What I want to do now is check for power at the fuel pump before I condemn it but I don't know which wires should be live and which shouldn't. any suggestions on checks I can make?

Before we go any further, have you checked the cut off under the passengers seat and though you've put a gallon in is the amber light off on the fuel guage? It may need another gallon to prime the pump if it was completely empty.

Then after you've tried that ensure the relays in fromnt of the battery are secure and that there are no broken wires into the base of the relay holders.

Before we go any further, have you checked the cut off under the passengers seat and though you've put a gallon in is the amber light off on the fuel guage? It may need another gallon to prime the pump if it was completely empty.

Then after you've tried that ensure the relays in fromnt of the battery are secure and that there are no broken wires into the base of the relay holders.

Thanks smaky.

So far I've:

I tried the cut off. I assume that if it had tripped I would feel a click when I pressed it and I don't.

The fuel light is still on though so another gallon might be a good start.

I can feel the relay click when I turn the ignition on but the fuel pump isn't making a sound.

I had a similar thing happen when mine ran dry. Put a can of petrol in and it still wouldnt fire, just turned over and over.

The car was nose down on a slight incline so I rolled it to a flat surface and it still didnt work. Oddly, when I pushed it around so it was nose up on the incline, it fired up :Confused:

I assumed (probably incorrectly) it was something to do with where the lines leave the fuel tank.

I had a similar thing happen when mine ran dry. Put a can of petrol in and it still wouldnt fire, just turned over and over.

The car was nose down on a slight incline so I rolled it to a flat surface and it still didnt work. Oddly, when I pushed it around so it was nose up on the incline, it fired up :Confused:

I assumed (probably incorrectly) it was something to do with where the lines leave the fuel tank.

That would go under the prime the pump section of my reply.

The relay clicking is probably the start enable relay, which is the immobilizer one, there is a seperate one the fuel pump, and this has its own fuse, now I'm hoping you've checked the fuse, but if you still have the back seat out.. have you checked for 12V and an earth at the plug?

I checked the 4 fuses that my handbook told me were fore the fuel system & ECU. I’m working from memory here but there were 3 under the dash (12, 13 & 14?) and one big one on top of the battery.

If I can muster the enthusiasm when I get home (and I can find my multimeter) I’ll check voltage at the pump later. From memory there are 4 wires at the multipin connector. Which ones are for the pump and which ones are for the gauge sender?

I tracked down my multimeter and this is what I've got:

Heavy gauge brown and white wire = 12v when ignition is turned on

Black & white heavy gauge wire = 0v earth?

Pink? & black thin gauge wire = approx 5v with the ignition on (fuel gauge?)

Other thin gauge wire - 0v (earth for fuel gauge?)

As I'm getting 12v I'm thinking the pump has gone.

You put more fuel in and got it running yet?

I connected the fuel pump to a 12v source and it did nowt so I'm assuming it's goosed.

Mine is a late 2001 car which means the fuel pump has a different part no. to the earlier ones. Do you know if they are actually different?

The 147 pumphas different connections on top so you can't use those, but I have one here if your desperate and can fit it for you too.

So the ebay sellers are being a bit sneaky as they claim that 147 & 156 pumps are the same.

Thanks for the offer but someone near me has got the right one on ebay c/w the locking ring that I managed to break so it should be running by weekend.

all it needs then is droplinks, a bottom arm and an MoT and I can sell it.

So the ebay sellers are being a bit sneaky as they claim that 147 & 156 pumps are the same.

Thanks for the offer but someone near me has got the right one on ebay c/w the locking ring that I managed to break so it should be running by weekend.

all it needs then is droplinks, a bottom arm and an MoT and I can sell it.

Have you chacked that your getting 12V and an earth on the wiring as it may be the fuel relay in front of the battery at fault.