Sign in to follow this  
mocher72

Lost all gears with engine running

You say selespeeds go wrong.

Well mine lost all the gears on Friday.

After seeing Smakys wisdom when he was allowed on the Alfaowner forum I thought I would see what is advised here. Car is currently with an indy garage, not sure if they know too much but will be putting the computer on tomorrow.

Here is a summary.

Car drove fine from Birmingham to Nottingham, then when I came off the motorway (fully warmed up) when I pulled away on the roundabout it dropped from first into N.

Would then not reselect 1st or any other gear with the engine running. Just beeps and stays in N. (Previous day I had been having intermittent problems getting into R)

With the engine turned off I can go through all the gears 1-2-3-4-5 N and R without any problems. But with the engine running wont select any.

After waiting a while creating a mini traffic hazard on a Friday afternoon I tried to pull off. 1st gear selected and pulled off, but then when I tried to change up it just dropped into neutral. Waited tried again same thing happens.

While waiting for the recovery wagon had a look under the bonnet. The selespeed oil is on the minimum mark.

Looking through the user manuals for the car this weekend (online as don't have a real one) I noticed that it says to leave it in 1st when you park up. I have been leaving it in N (only had it 10 days though)

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Hi,mocher72,

If you look on my post "selespeed woes" and "selespeed woes solved", that may help you. I must emphasise that I am no expert on the subject and Smaky got me thinking on the right lines.

Basically, my problem started like yours and escalated to being unable to select gears with the engine off and the problem was mechanical in that the clutch pushrod was not adjusted to give sufficent movement to disengage the clutch enough to allow gear selection.

I do not know if the 147 system is identical to the 156 but on that, the breather must be disconnected from the filler cap and the ignition on MAR to check the level. I may be wrong but am pretty sure the level will drop if the system is in use and engine running - Smaky will know!

I hope this is of some help and your garage know what they are doing as a lot of them seem to be in the dark when it comes to selespeeds!

Good luck, Ralph