Sign in to follow this  
Joss

Banging/cracking noise from wipers? Surely not the only one?

After doing a search on another forum I have come up blank. When the wiper reaches the top of it's stroke and the wiper begins to return the drivers one makes a huge crack noise on the screen. It only seems to happen when the wipers are really on too fast. On the JTD I never run the wipers very fast unless it is raining very hard and so it doesn't do it but if the are run fast in lighter conditions they will make the cracking noise. The GTA has auto wipers and so does it's own speed and runs far to fast IMO but this means that it continually makes this cracking noise at the top of the wiper stroke. Can this be solved with new wipers or adjustment of anything as in the end for most of my hour journey I just flipped the wiper stalk when I needed it which became oh so tiresome and very annoying

I would think you are talking about a 147 here as this is a common issue on those where the drivers side of the linkage snaps and the wiper arm bounces off the bonnet,

If this is on a 156 then you probably have a loose wiper arm nut on the spindle OR the arms are not set correctly and are bouncing off the window edge seal.

It's on my 156 GTA. It's not catching the A pillar and seems to come right from the end of the wiper. I'll check to see if the arm is loose. Both my GTA and JTD do it although the JTD not so bad after I fitted aero wipers and I run the wipers far slower on teh JTD. With teh GTA auto wipe I have no choice and it runs far too fast

It's on my 156 GTA. It's not catching the A pillar and seems to come right from the end of the wiper. I'll check to see if the arm is loose. Both my GTA and JTD do it although the JTD not so bad after I fitted aero wipers and I run the wipers far slower on teh JTD. With teh GTA auto wipe I have no choice and it runs far too fast

Is the anti vibration clip still on the arm?