Sign in to follow this  
Rewe

Grinding noise from gearbox

Apologies for this being a non alfa query but......

We are in the Swiss Alps and Mrs R's Honda CR-V has started making a grinding noise form the gearbox area. Symptons:

It only happens changing from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th. 1st-2nd, 4th-5th, 5th-6th are fine.

It only happens when I dip the clutch, it is silent again when the clutch is released.

It only happens when the gearbox is under maximum load - e.g. going uphilll around hairpins. Driving on the flat or downhill is all fine.

It is most noticable when I actually change gear as well, although I can faintly hear it if I dip the cluthch under the conditions described above.

I can't detect any vibrations.

We have Honda European breakdown cover if anything goes pop and a Honda Approved Used Car Guarrantee. Car has 48000 miles.

Questions:

Is it the release bearing? Surely this would be noisy all the time if it was? Hoping not, because I don'y know if this would be covered by the guarrantee.

Is it more likely to be gearbox - hope so because this would be covered.

I've considered a loose heat shield, but how would this be connected to the transmission?

Thanks in advance.

I want to say the syncro is going as you say it's making it during changes but as it is making it constantly when loaded perhaps one of the bearings is failing and is causing slight play and meshing on the gears. Basically I don't know and am clutching at straws

Clutch release bearing has collapsed, it's going to need a complete clutch kit. It's becoming quite common on the Hondas, I see a lot of them do this around Swindon (home of jap crap production).

Update time:

I still don't know what the problem is but the car is now in the warm and comforting embrace of a Honda main dealer. I knew it would be difficult to reproduce on the hills on this side of the country so I made a video before I left Switzerland. Unfortunately, although you can hear something, it is not enough to identify the noise. I took the foreman out and he could just hear the noise but not identify it. From the description, Honda technical support could not tell him where to start looking but he thinks it is a resonating noise, unconnected with the clutch or gearbox. Possibly EGR valve. The previous model had a handful of EGR issues, but mine has the new part and map. He will run it on the road with the diagnostics plugged in and if he can find a big enough hill to reproduce it he should have the culprit. He said that one of their receptionists once complained of a similar noise, but they were unable to reproduce it. I was told not to worry about anything, they would somehow find what it was and sort it out for me (under warranty). :thumbs:

So now I have a lime green Honda Jazz ladychange Hybrid courtesy car - I told Mrs R that it is fully specced with the latest Forumala 1 style KERS and paddle gear change technology! :biglol:

You could well be right however, a second dealer couldn't diagnose the fault either but their instincts were to start the search by taking the gearbox out - although they did not think they would find anything. Apparently Honda are aware of the noise but have had no failures yet as a result and can't say for sure what the problem is,if there even is a fault or if it is just an occasional characteristic.

I'll never know now because, thanks to some stunning customer service (by Westgate Honda, Grimsby),I've now exchanged it for another one despite being several weeks and several thousand miles over the official window for exchanges. A combination of discounting the new car to cost price, base rate finance and cash back to cover the finance admin fees and I'm now back to the same position I was before, possibly better. :congrats::cool: Are there any Alfa dealers who can come anywhere near Honda for customer service? My experiences suggest not. :grr:

Thanks for trying to help though. :thumbs: