Sign in to follow this  
alfaholic 001

Cooling system 2.0 TS

Okay guys, I blew my head gasket a few months back and I'm finally re assembling the engine, all along I believed that the thermostat was stuck closed as there were no leaks and the water pump is fine but smaky told me that these thermostats on the TS never jam up but instead they will stay open and cause the engine to run cold so while I am waiting for my camblocks to arrive from totallyalfa in the UK I'd like some guidance in finding what actually caused my car to over heat

Any ideas?

Split hose, faulty pressure cap, leaking header tank, head gasket, leaking radiator, faulty water pump, old oil, air leak in induction side, faulty fan system or crack in head are the most likely causes.

Ok let's sEe, hoses are fine, water pump is fine, cap n bottle is fine, radiator is good, head gasket was blown, head is good, fan system is good, not sure bout the oil leak

Head gasket blown, well what appens tere is that the compression gases heat the water ndas this is gases at around 500'c it doesn't take long for them to heat the coolant to a level at which even a stuck open thermostat cant allow enough flow to cool, it's the same as a car running perfectly bar the t'stat, it will allow full flow all the time so with forward momentum or the fan running, the coolant will drop in temp, but come to a halt or stop the fan then the temps will rise, because the stat is stuck open ALL the coolant will be warmer than it should be, As with a fully functioning stat, the coolant in the rad will chill with the airflow and present a reservior of cooler water to bring down the temp within the engine when the car has sat idling at the lights.

Isn't it the overheating that caused the gasket to blow firstly

50 / 50, sometimes failed head gaskets cause overheating, sometimes overheating causes the gasket to fail, looking for things like a faulty fan resistor or rotten radiator core can give you more clues, but 90% of head gasket failures on TS engines are down to a cooling failure.