Sign in to follow this  
Brackenfox

Selespeed jerking and slipping when cold! (ooer!)

Well, after a few other things suspension related, I will look into that. The sele is ok now, but it's not perfect.(certainly better than it was!). Who knows what other improvements can be made..

After some mildy embarrassing kangerooing trying to pull out of a tight parking space on a steep hill, I thought a bite point adjustment was probably in order. Checked clutch rod length (28.54mm - close enough?) I ran the procedure as above. Trouble is when flooring it in second (even on a decent road surface) I got wheelspin and the traction control kicked in, before it gripped then went smoothly to 3000rpm- is this normal or will it mess up the routine? If it does mess it up, is there another way around it (apart from a more gentle application of the throttle)?

After some mildy embarrassing kangerooing trying to pull out of a tight parking space on a steep hill, I thought a bite point adjustment was probably in order. Checked clutch rod length (28.54mm - close enough?) I ran the procedure as above. Trouble is when flooring it in second (even on a decent road surface) I got wheelspin and the traction control kicked in, before it gripped then went smoothly to 3000rpm- is this normal or will it mess up the routine? If it does mess it up, is there another way around it (apart from a more gentle application of the throttle)?

Wheelspin during the process is normally down to an accumulator or EV0 seal failing.

Thanks. Don't like the sound of either of those (although I have a spare new accumulator in the shed).

To diagnose these I would use MES to check:

(i) pressure on changes (and frequency of pump priming) for the accumulator; and

(ii) a pulsing clutch rod for the EV0 seal ?

Glad it worked, but of course, if there is a solenoid fault (suck as a sticking one or a seal leak) then this proceedure may not make things as smooth as they should be.

Well, now my car's set up nicely, time to look at the selespeed. On cold its never all that smooth, it used to pulsate but these days it more just drops the car into gear, especially 2nd... today, it missed third twice - on a cold box... After I dropped my Son at Day care, drove home, car was warmer, problems gone.

My Sele has never failed. In 6 years the only work thats ever been done is regular calibrations and bite points. I'm not aware of any work done to it before I owned it, so I suspect it's completely untouched.

The numbers are fine - clutch rod needs adjustment as its just on the edge at 28.45

It holds pressure reasonably well, needs a prime every 2 - 3 changes.. holds 55bar and drops about a bar a minute (from memory) down to 45 then primes back to 55.

The battery is weak, it's four years old, and im noticing on cold mornings it struggles to turn the engine over.. but otherwise its fine - charging at 13.9v.

So, I'm guessing it's either the battery or should i also look replacing those seals?

Edit: Just checked with MES and the clutch rod adjustment is now at 28.644. Two weeks ago it was 28.45 - would this be an indication of a tired clutch? Seems to be a lot of movement in a short time - that's all.

Anyway, I'll adjust it back this weekend.

Edited by Alfa156Melb

I'd expect that drop from a bedding in clutch and temperature bears greatly on this figure when cold it will be lower than when warm due to thermal expansion pushing the clutch rod into the actuator slightly.

Other than that your new box may have problems starting with the 3rd synchro, the reason I always check the boxes I fit out before fitting.

Well I swapped out a worn lower right engine mount this weekend, easy job... I didnt realise how worn out the old one was as the engine was sagging about 1.5 inches..

The kangarooing from 2nd to 1st, and the odd rough gear change are gone..

I also readjusted the clutch rod - its now hovering around 28.01mm.... Did a bite point and calibration.. car is silky smooth again.

So, the engine moving about must have had a large impact, also the car is generally much quieter with the new mount.. very happy.