Sign in to follow this  
kam-325i

Selespeed "start-Up"

Whats the correct procedure when refiitting the actuator back on to the gearbox ?

Im fine with the mechanical side of it, just the priming/bleeding of the system after its been drained of oil.

Is there a specific routine in MES ive got to do to bleed the system ?

Thanks.

If the system has been completely drained then you'll need to ensure it is filled prior to connecting the battery and opening the drivers door, whilst it's running for the first time ensure the sele oil level stays above the plate in the reservoir, make sure the clutch rod position is set correctly and locked, and then operate the gear change with the key at MAR but engine not running, this allows you to select ALL gears, do around 30 changes as this should bleed the system sufficiently and show if the pump and accumulator are working OK, check the fluid level and ensure that with the system in neutral that the clutch rod length is again within limits.

Thank you kindly sir !!!

The system was not "completely" drained, only disconnected the high/low pressure lines, and removed the back plate to check on the condition of the "up/down" piston and sensor, as I seem to be showing 3mm "over travel" on MES, and there are "witness marks" on the roll pin fitted to the selector attachment that show the over travel...

Quick Update:

So, after rebuild and driving around Friday, all seems ok, I've still got the crunch on changing gear into 2nd, either going up from 1st or coming down from 3rd.

BUT.........when out to the car today to check on oil levels, and I noticed that the selespeed pump did not run when I opened the drivers door.....weird....checked the oil level, that's ok. Switched on the ignition, and the pump ran for about 2-3 seconds..

So I switched off the ignition and left the car for an hour, went back out, opened the drivers door, and again nothing from the pump, switched on the ignition, and it ran, again only for 2-3 seconds.....

either the system is now holding the pressure very well for a long time or..........????