Biffa

P0101 156 1.9 8V 2004 Odd One Might Be Maf Time.

After the SW went belly up I bought a 156 1.9 8v jtd.

Recently the engine management light has come one.

The odd thing once reset it doesn't reappear until the car is warm, and I'm going down hill using NO throttle the EML comes on and produces P0101 only no other fault codes.

I can go down the same hill with minimal throttle and no fault occurs.

I suspect I'm going to end up having to replace something and have already done the air filter, the cam belt and water pump is ready to fit in the boot just waiting on some time off.. But the maf might due too..

I must admit though all the Alfas I've had it is only the second time I'll of had to change a maf.

I'd put the cambelt and water pump on the engine, but before you replce the maf, ensure all the sensors are clean, the egr is clear and working and that there are no split hoses.

I'd put the cambelt and water pump on the engine, but before you replce the maf, ensure all the sensors are clean, the egr is clear and working and that there are no split hoses.

Will do i've had it sat in the boot a month and its just waiting for the time off, any tips not done a JTD before...

Belt done last night and the water pump and to be fair the tension was plastic. The looked and felt in good nick.

I found a pipe lose and the map sensor was full of crap.

Belt done last night and the water pump and to be fair the tension was plastic. They looked and felt in good nick.

I found a pipe lose and the map sensor was full of crap.

I'll reset it today and see if the light stays off now. What to you use to tension the belt. I assumed that as the tensioner was the same type as the petrol engines that tool would be the same but as your aware there not.

Yeah it's on my "to do" list as is a new windscreen and two front tyres.

MIL is back on. Will strip the induction system down when I get time.

Right, had time on friday morning to take, the EGR and the Throttle body off to clean, my god there was some shit in there. Car seem to pull better but i think thats more in my mind than anything. I didnt have the time to remove the inlet manifold but i can see its another job for the list i've also got a glow plug fault which will get sorted when i take the manifold off..

Again i cleared the fault only for it to return, i have checked for leaks, cleaned the EGR and Throttle body, new air filter, i think its MAF time...

Yes, map sensor has been cleaned. I've reset the mil again and I'm hoping it will stay off as for the first few runs the car was jerky and smoking below 2000rpm but above idle, so I think the ecu was learning the clean fuel trim.

Light s back on, going to try my spare MAF and seem it its ok, although i havnt checked the shrt term fuel trim using MECUscan yet i must find time to do that be for i change anything.

We knew it would probably be that but I was just making sure that it was definitely going to be a replacement for a reason...

I agree I hate wasting money on replacing parts that turn out not to be faulty. The 1.9 156 jtd maf fault was even mentioned in last month a car mechanics magazine, saying to check egr and hoses before changing maf even though it's fault Code states it's an issue.