Sign in to follow this  
flyblo5

This Weeks Problem - No Gears

After a bit of fiddling about I managed to her to start and run and sorted a few other bits and pieces out but I cant select any gears.

Popped it onto MES and the following faults kept re-occurring or wouldn't go at all

Clutch disk speed & P1769 AG4 Transmission Torque Modulation Fault

Selespeed light flashes.

Also noticed that when one of the Hyd controls (the one on the left of the actuator as you look at the engine bay, near the gearbox end cover) seemed to be all or nothing. With it connected the clutch rod reads about 9mm and the lever is pushed hard against the bell housing cover and the fault codes appear and will not clear. With it disconnected the fault codes will clear and the clutch measurement returns to 28mm. so I'm thinking it may be a faulty hydraulic sensor / control.

Brake pedal switch is functioning correctly and gears requested show on MES but not gears engaged(because they are not.)

Any ideas

Disconnect the gearbox speed sensor, remove it and clean any material from the end of it, refit and see what happens then, if it's still the same then it is probably the Sele ECU at fault.

I suppose it comes as no surprise that once again Smaky seems to be correct.

I'm fairly sure the end isn't supposed to be contoured, grooved and burred like that. The only worry is what caused it.

1400412093447_zps0a51019f.jpg

1400412099643_zps0df59078.jpg

Anyway to prove the point I bypassed the sensor, set the clutch rod to 28.25mm and as if by magic....... gears appeared. Well 1,2,3 & 4 did (without the engine running as I didn't want to chance anything). Hoping 5 & R join the party when I run the full calibration functions.

So once again thank you Smaky.

I wish that was the problem, but as you can see in that picture the end of the sensor is chewed, that means that the front bearing has gone and it is now using your clutch as a bearing instead, your car really needs a gearbox rebuild and a clutch.

I had a feeling it wouldn't be as simple as that but was hoping the sensor was the cause rather than the result. The real pisser is the box has only done about 30,000 miles and was an Alfa re-manufactured unit.

It will have to wait for a bit as it sounds expensive and I don't have the time or money to do it at the moment.