Sign in to follow this  
Gibot123

Rear Head Removal 164 24V

They all look pretty normal for a 20 year old engine, the head gasket was rotten but that is to be expected, only thing I noticed was that the #5 piston looks a little oval, but that could be the lighting.

Fan relays there are 2 . if I swap them over and this has made no difference should I assume that they are both bad or that the problem is not there.

The fan works but only seems to have one stage but as said I swapped the relays over (which are Identical pins and part No.s) As said earlier I then changed the fan switch in the rad and that made no difference either. also the temp sensor on the thermostat housing for the ecu. Where should I check next. If I bridge the connector Suppling the fan switch I have 2 speeds but when its connected to the system I dont.

As its apart would you recommend skimming the heads anyway to be safe or just re gasket and refit the heads.

I know I've probably gone about this the wrong way but as said it's done and really need advice as to how to proceed . :Silly:

I'd have the face of the heads cleaned, checked for flatness and pressure checked as if the heads have cracks then this would give these symptoms.

Cheers I read up on not turnig the crank as the liners move .and dislodge the seal. Apart from the special tool is there anything I can use to hold the liners in place as could do with putting the car back on the wheels and rolling it across the car park to an out of the way bit as looks like this is going to take longer than I thought.( I obviously would not have it in gear)

Edited by Gibot123

Right just waiting for a friend to pick the heads up now and get them checked. Hope they are ok as sourcing a replacement could prove difficult.

Right heads in today for pressure test and refacing I haven't been this nervous since the kids were born or the last MOT :Sleepy:

Just hope there ok . If they are though still means haven't found the problem .

only thing left could be poor flow through the rad but that was new 2 years back and shows no sign of leaks.Water goes in and comes out the other end but not sure of the flow rate.

Did however find a new in the box rear head which is the most difficult to find and a really good price .

had a bit of a mare finding the right head gaskets too but have finally sourced some.

If only I lived closer to Smaky I would probably have driven him insane though by now :Talking Ear Off:

Fingers crossed and keep you posted Alfisti. :Smug:

Edited by Gibot123

Well heads faced and pressure tested small line across the middle cyl fire ring area now all sorted. heads back tomorrow then the fun starts. W/pump .belts. Stupid tensioner procedures etc etc.....

comes to something when the best place to get parts for your Italian stalion is Germany :Shame On You:

Still weather permitting should be back together at weekend or early next week parts arriving on time of course :dance:

Hopefully the Busso will live another 109,000 miles and put up with the bl@@@y english traffic without throwing all its water everywhere :Secret:

Quick thanks to (in order of appearence )

Smaky

and LJ for support and emotional back up.

Probably not finished annoying Smaky yet :He He:

Cheers peeps. :im Not Worthy:

Edited by Gibot123

Smaky that thing under the cam shaft was just a plug for the oil way but all sorted now.