Sign in to follow this  
ooztuncer

Skipping 4Th Gear

Hello all,

I am in need of your advice. Our 2002 sele (173k) skips 4th gear.

Pressure is normal (45-55 bars), no weird sounds or feelings between gears, clutch, lambda sensor, thermostat, ev0 valve, ss pump, accumulator was replaced within last 15k km's. SS oil level is OK. Clutch rod length is 28.09 mm.

In general it is in tip top shape; however, I am missing 4th gear. It disappeared for a week then came back for 10 days and I lost it again 2 days ago.

No error codes both in examiner and fiat ecu scan and it could complete the calibration...

What could be the reason? Any help is highly appreciated.

Best...

NOTE: I believe my mechanic tried a 4-step quick fix: i) release the gear selection ii) eol calibration iii) set back the gear selection iv) eol calibration.

After this, I could see "4" on the dash; but it really did not engage to 4th gear and it started to crunch from 4th to 5th. We re-did the eol calibration and it is not crunching anymore but still skips 4...

NOTE 2: after reading this source: http://l.over.cz/selespeed/page9.html , I am thinking that actuator position sensors ( gear selection position sensor and/or gear engagement position sensor) or clutch disk speed sensor could be the problem. Do you know their part numbers?? Is it this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290895095169?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Edited by ooztuncer

Before ordering any sensors I think it is worth a simple check of the shaft rollers, these are screwed into the front of the gearbox just below the gearbox mount, there are 3 of them and their purpose is to lock the shaft in position once a selection is made, if one of the rollers is not engaging then this can prevent selections from being made correctly. They are identified by their 17mm heads and a little oil will seep out whilst they are removed.

Apart from that the only faults which really matches your symptoms is a broken loop on the input selector shaft which would require a new center case (gearbox rebuild), or a faulty insertion sensor (the rear most one on top of the actuator, swap it with the clutch one first and see if the fault changes before buying parts.