Sign in to follow this  
EightySixtyEight

Undersealing

My 147 GTA is apparently a cast-off from a Malaysian importer and is not undersealed as well as the standard UK-spec cars. I once undersealed an Alfetta GTV with no hoist and I vowed that I would never do it again. There are a few companies that offer to do it for about £400. Does anybody know if they're any good?

To do a thorough job on a 147 or for that matter any modern Alfa you need to drop the suspension,fuel tank and center tunnel/subframe to gain full access to all the spots that will rot out in time, any compay offering to do it for £400 is not going to be doing that sort of work, More likely they are just going to strap a spray nozzle onto a can of waxoyl and paste it all over as far as they can reach...this is not sufficeint to apply the required protection the prone areas. The last time I went to town on a car and did this it took me 3 days on axle stands. 3 hours to strip the subframes/suspension/fueltank, a day to clean off the old crap and sort any forming rust, then a day and a half to apply the zinc coat and epoxy underseal then 3 hours to rebuild the car, total cost of the kit I used was £90 and personally I would do it myself again rather than have a half arsed job done by a garage for £310 more.

To do a thorough job on a 147 or for that matter any modern Alfa you need to drop the suspension,fuel tank and center tunnel/subframe to gain full access to all the spots that will rot out in time, any compay offering to do it for £400 is not going to be doing that sort of work, More likely they are just going to strap a spray nozzle onto a can of waxoyl and paste it all over as far as they can reach...this is not sufficeint to apply the required protection the prone areas. The last time I went to town on a car and did this it took me 3 days on axle stands. 3 hours to strip the subframes/suspension/fueltank, a day to clean off the old crap and sort any forming rust, then a day and a half to apply the zinc coat and epoxy underseal then 3 hours to rebuild the car, total cost of the kit I used was £90 and personally I would do it myself again rather than have a half arsed job done by a garage for £310 more.

I've got a job for you ;)

Oh Jeez !!!

Is that a yes?

My 147 GTA is apparently a cast-off from a Malaysian importer and is not undersealed as well as the standard UK-spec cars.

Got me thinking, as my 147 was an import through Virgin Cars. I have the original registration document/certificate from Italy, stamped by DVLA when they issued a UK reg no, and the car is RHD. But is the UK spec undersealing more thorough than it would have been for Europe?

Got me thinking, as my 147 was an import through Virgin Cars. I have the original registration document/certificate from Italy, stamped by DVLA when they issued a UK reg no, and the car is RHD. But is the UK spec undersealing more thorough than it would have been for Europe?

I've got some good news, and some bad news...

The good news is that your Italian import 147 is a "Superleggera" model. :thumbs:

The bad news is that "Superleggera" means thinner metal for the bodywork, thinner paint, thinner glass, and bugger-all undersealing. :LOL: