Sign in to follow this  
Joss

Gta Failing Coilpacks

I've hand a minor misfire on the GTA for a while now. Nothing mental just at low rpm when hot and it was only a single misfire at a time. Drive to birmingham and back today and it has got much much worse. Intermittent at idle and low pull away. It's had plugs so I know its a coilpack but is there a way of testing them with a multimeter? I can play swapsys on the front bank but stripping the plenum off can get time consuming especially if you end up doing it 3 times testing the coilpacks on the rear and I don't really want to buy 3 :)

Had this on mine bud, garage plugged it in and it came up with which cylinder was miss firing. Don't know how to test them with multimeter tho. Swap the fronts and backs round then just change one of the fronts(which was one of the backs) and test it, then repeat till fixed. Easiest way round it.

• Like 1

Sorry mate read it again just assumed it was one of the backs. Mine started off missing when it was hot and there was a clicking noise from the rear (number 3 I think) then it totally went and sounded like scooby :LOL:

Smaky might know something, hopefully

1 down and stroke of luck its solved the heavy misfire. Looks like there is another one struggling but not badly atm. Can't be bothered to hunt for it

Changed that last year. I can check that by unpluging. It so I'll try that later. Cheers mate. I'll keep you posted

Unplugged for journey home from work. Didn't want to idle properly which is weird as when it happened at spar it ran like a dream with it unplugged. However no misfire.

Do you get a clicking noise from the engine bay in time with the misfire?

I had a coil pack wire trapped (flattened) underneath the plenum. Only did it when hot and at idle.

Also trapped wire tend to lead to white smoke, an electrical burnig smell, a blown 30A fuse and total engine shut down.

Meanwhile, it sounds more like a MAF issue now you've tested it this way.