leongsoon

Selespeed Randomly Missing Even Gears

Hi guys! After much lurking around and reading folks here I am finally with another post haha! About a month back my car missed 2nd and 4th, but once I stop I can get 2nd and R.

Put in a new accumulator, adjusted the clutch rod to about 28.3++ and ran EOL Calibration. Gear changes were a lot smoother then, but it would still occasionally refuse to engage 2nd or R right after starting. Disconnecting and reconnecting the Selespeed connector does the trick everytime, I eventually gave it a lot of contact cleaner and it has stopped refusing to select 2nd or R right after startup.

Fast forward a few weeks later and it has started to randomly miss 2nd and 4th again, but R works everytime.

Right now:

1. The accumulator pressure goes from 55 bar to 43 bar in about a minute with the engine running. Takes about 4 gear changes to bring it from 55 bar to 43 bar. This is with the engine running.

2. With the engine off, accumulator pressure takes about 5 minutes to go from 55 bar to 43 bar. Is the new accumulator holding pressure properly this way?

3. The pump brushes might be worn again so I'll be changing the brushes soon. I suspect it is hanging intermittently because I still get the Selespeed beep sometimes.

4. When I checked with the engine off just now, clutch rod length is now 28.9 - 29.1. Should I do another adjustment and calibration?

Adjust the rod down to about 28.1mm, Don't worry about 3, accumulator sounds fine so this is definately a dodgy seal on one of the EV valves and I would say EV0.

Ok, so I adjusted the clutch rod length to 28.056/28.140mm with the engine off, this is the closest I can get to 28.100mm. After that I ran "Product/Service final calibration" using the full version of MES. The first time it failed quoting "unsuitable conditions". Turned the key off and back on, then the calibration completed successfully the second time round. After the calibration the "Clutch engaged position" is back to 27.6mm. Am I doing this correctly at all? Or should I readjust the nut again? Thanks Smaky!

Oh btw, is it normal for the car to end up in 4th after testing "Even number gears selection sol. valve"? It also ended up in 3rd after testing "Odd number gears selection sol. valve".

Drove the car for 2 days and the only instance of misbehaving was missing 3rd once at low speed this afternoon. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid but I did pick up a burnt smell from the right wheel well this morning. Anyway, I had a go at the clutch rod again; adjusted it to 28.308mm, drained clutch, went to 27.970, then readjusted it to 28.140 again before running EOL. EOL failed again the first time but when it did complete the second time it was pretty much bang on 28.050. Drove it for a while and seems fine so far, no more burnt smell from the wheel well, but then again it might have been my new brake pads :|

I checked the records and the clutch kit was last changed towards the end of 2010 and about 40000km ago, could it be worn so fast?

Is there any way I can check if the EV0 seals are gone? I'll try to get a set of seals and have em replaced as well!

If it wasn't set up properly then yes, it could have accelerated wear.

Seals can only be checked by replacing them, as the pressure drop on diag can be caused by anything, though normally it's the clutch hunting to hold it off in N.