Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

Flush Power Steering Fluid

Smaky whats your preferred method of flushing and replacing the power steering fluid please?

I realised the other day that I don't remember having it done.. in a lonnnngggg time.. and i noticed it was dirty so may as well sort it out next time i service her :)

I syphon the steering reservior dry with a syringe, remove the reservior and connect a length of hose to the return side and feed that into a waste container and supply side to a funnel, with an assistant, fill the funnel with fresh fluid, start the engine and whilst going from lock to lock keep the funnel topped up with fresh fluid, carry on till clean fluid flows from the pipe, allow the funnel to empty and stop the engine, refit the reservoir and top it up, start the engine and go lock to lock a few times to ensure no air is in the system, it will always make a whooshing noise at the extremes as this is the relief valve opening to allow the excess pressure to escape. Check the level again, fit the cap and your done.

The whole proceedure usually takes about 30 mins and 3 litres of Dexron II.