Alfa156Melb

Banana Springs

Hey Smaky..

So while I was at the suspension place today they also noticed that the front springs are in a banana shape on the struts.. basically they aren't sitting straight.. They reckon that the top mount bush may be worn.. would that be a fair conclusion?

Nope. I would suspect that the top mount is not fitted in the correct orientation so the springs are not sat correctly in the grooves or the bush isn't sat right in the top cup. Worst case is you have the wrong springs.

Well, ive decided to get the dampers fitted professionally so ill get them to check that.

I believe the springs were fitted when the car was new by the dealer, but I'm not 100% sure on that.. Maybe they are wrong? Ill see if i can find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps they just aren't used to the look of the strut + springs on the 156 - the offset top mount can look "different" to other cars (especially with no load on the hoist);

9-2-800.jpg

The car was loaded on a ramp hoist, but I reckon you might be right..

I was at the breakers today getting some bits and pieces and took the time to have a look at some other 156's and all of them seem to have bendy springs.. exactly like your pic :thumbs:

Seeing you showed me yours....... I'll show you mine.... :teehee:

IMG_1248%20%28478x640%29.jpg

Edited by Alfa156Melb

They're Eibach Pro Kits... I assume they are the correct spring, but I haven't been able to find the part numbers yet under all that muck. When i swapped over the uppers, i tried to rub it back but it wouldn't budge.. so i moved on.

The only thing is I have no idea how old they are. they may have been fitted when the car was new.. so 10 years old.. I'm pondering whether I should buy new springs too.. they arent that expensive.. maybe piece of mind..

How long would you expect a spring to last for Smaky? The car has done 96,000 miles.

Edited by Alfa156Melb

Pro springs on standard shocks is not a good idea, you'll blow the seals in the shocks as the springs overpower them on the rebound.

OH yeah I know it! :He He:

The previous owner fitted them but left the shocks standard.. It's only now I can justify upgrading the shocks..

I would have done it years ago, but after a new engine ($4000 for an engine swap here in Aus - I was lucky to get a very young motor though), replacing failed bits, worn suspension.. it adds up! :)

The dampers are the last major upgrade / job I'm doing to this car - once done, I'll limit any work to maintenance only. And finally, maybe - I can plan to get myself a GTA :Big Grin: Besides, there's nothing else to replace now - lol.. well, the radiator is orginal and so is the gearbox.. everything else is pretty much new!

Edited by Alfa156Melb

Pro springs on standard shocks is not a good idea, you'll blow the seals in the shocks as the springs overpower them on the rebound.

Funny you mention that because it actually feels like the wheels continue to oscillate after hitting high speed bumps - comes through as a vibration through the whole body of the car...

Thats one of the main symptoms the car's been throwing up over the last week.