Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

Worn Engine Stabiliser Bar?

Heya Smaky...

I was at a suspension place today getting them to have a look over the car to see if there was anything that stood out that may be causing the handling issues I've had recently (outside of worn shocks) and they noticed what seems to be excessive forward/backward engine movement. They didn't know whether this was in spec or whether the mounts are shot.. (or would it be the top stabiliser bar?)

So I took a vid - I selected first and with the brakes on I applied a small amount of power and did the same in reverse.. There seems to be a lot of movement there..

Also when you shut the engine off, there is a small knock that's developed over the last few weeks.

What do you think?

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_OujSQ4B9E&feature=youtube_gdata

Edited by Alfa156Melb

Pretty normal, but the top stabiliser is simple to check, remove header tank cap, disconnect hose from coolant return, remove the 2 15mm bolts which hold the mount in ( you may need to loosen the 2 shock nuts to alllow a little play in the plate to remove the mount).