Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

Squeaky Belt?

I have a squeak in my engine, it sounds to me like it's probably a belt, but I'm not entirely sure.

The sound goes away after the engine's warmed up and the cam belts have been changed 20,000km's ago...

I am planning on taking it in to the mechanic, but as the noise is completely gone after the engines' warm, outside of leaving it with him overnight, I'm not sure he'd be able to shed much light on it..

Here's a youtube, you can just hear it in the background.. the frequency changes with revs and then fades away as the engine warms up.

Any ideas?

I have a similar situation on my 156, mine is a squeaky bottom pulley for the aux belt. I spray it with Duck Oil and its stays quiet for a week then.

Well it turned out to be the cam belt, we think probably the tensioner.. So it's getting a new cam belt kit fitted tonight...

Because i don't have an engine tray, and I'm also missing a side engine cover too (Driver side) all the dirt and muck makes its way in... it might have lasted, it might not have, i'd rather play it safe.. especially given I've already killed one engine because i was lazy with the cam belt..

I'm missing a liner in the wheel arch which allows all the muck to get thrown on my pulley. :(

Sounds like a dry power steering pump, check the level in there.

Other probables include the aux tensioner and idler or maybe the release bearing, but really need the camera to go all round the engine bay to pinpoint it.

It was the cam belt tensioner.. Got a new kit fitted with water pump to be safe and sound.. Its so quiet u can hear a mouse snore. :)

Engine is miles smoother too, idles perfectly.. The timing mustn't have been bang on before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk