Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

New Arb, Now There's A Knock In The Rear?!

Had the ARB and lowers replaced last week..

Took the car for a long drive to visit my parents, they live 3 hours north of me.. and this morning, I noticed a mild knock in the rear of the car?

Its strange, its really only noticeable when you apply throttle and lift off the throttle. Also only at low speeds, at least that's when i can hear it.

It sounds like its coming from the centre of the car. maybe the rear?

My first thoughts were drop links, but the fronts were replaced less than a year ago. Then I thought, maybe the rear drop links need replacing.. or possibly the trailing arms are due? All the transverse arm are brand new.

Another thought was that maybe when they replaced the arb, they may not have refitted the tunnel heatsheilds properly.. or even an engine mount? as the knock only occurs where there's torque on the engine, as it twists forward and rear.

Before the ARB was replaced it made a hell of a noise, which may have masked this new one - so it may have always been there for all I know.

Anyway, I'll take her back next week for the guys to check, but if you have any suggestions Smaky, I'd appreciate it.

I'm wondering if they've left a bolt loose somewhere, as many garages which are inexperienced don't always know the best order to tighten things up, in which case they often end up tightening and loosening bolts repeatedly.

Smaky, it was loose bolts on the subframe.. just as you suggested. :Smug:

Although wow, the car feels fantastic now, smooth, firm, tight.. no noises..

Next job - Dampers! Woooooo! :Big Grin:

I saw them tightening the subframe bolts, not sure if they were the culprit or whether it was the tunnel.. I decided to walk out the front and leave them too it. So i didnt see.

Its funny how much difference silence makes to drivability.. The car feels so much better.. I know its only in my head though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk