spark

Fuel Smell

Hello

Recently I am getting the smell of petrol in the car if I return to it after an hour or so but not if left overnight also straight after switching off I can smell petrol just outside the drivers door..

I am assuming its the fuel vapour recovery bits are they easy to get at? And what do I test

Thanks

Mark

first things to check are leaky injector seals or pipes (especially the one from the O/S turret to the injector rail), it's rare for the evap system to have issues but if you've jolted the car quite badly then it may have cracked the canister in the O/S wing, you'll need to remove the O/s wing liner to check this out. Also ensure the fuel tank isn't leaking and the fuel lines along the belly of the car are sound, but before everything else I suppose it's worth opening the fuel flap to make sure you have a cap there and that this itself is sealing fine, sniff the area before you remove the cap (it's a pressure cap and if the valve has gone thenwill stink of fuel there).

Never rains but it pours hoping for an easy fix. If it is injector seals are they easy to do and cheap to buy?

The smell seems strongest on the drivers side front but only after the engine is switched off there is no smell when on the move even when idling in traffic which is why I assumed vapour recovery

I have not taken the injectors out but the whole area around them seems dry and no smell of fuel. All of the pipe work and tank looks sound with no dampness and fuel cap in place with no smell

The smell seems strongest now around the rear of the car shortly after turning the car off does the tank vent? With the engine running I cannot smell any fuel.

Also I went out without the radio and noticed a sort of chattering sound behind the dash board on the drivers side which sort of sounds like a relay constantly running its not there all the time and not at idle. Could it be connected?

The ecomony doesn't seem to be compromised either.

Thanks

Mark

Right this problem has resurfaced the fuel smell is now strongest after driving the car and then leaving it for a few hours its worse inside, i have checked all the lines under the bonnet and, the and as much as i can under the car and there are no leaks. when i release the cap there is no vacuum so i assume that there is a leak somewhere but where do i start looking? is the tank metal can it corrode?

Thanks for any help

It's plastic, and if you've checked the lines and they are fine then I'd be looking at the charcoal canister in the driverside wing.