Sign in to follow this  
K9d

Not An Alfa But Still An Engine Problem.

My daughters 206 has been sat idle for 6 months, this week we replaced the starter and have put it back on the road.

Its a 1.4 HDI, so not the worlds most powerful engine but, it seems to have moments when there is no power at all, mostly when I first start driving from a cold start. I can pull away fine with hardly any throttle but when I try to accelerate in 1st there is nothing there as if the throttle is not working, as the engine warms it seems to improve.

I have filled it with BP Ultimate Diesel to see if that will clear out some of the crap, searches on the web seem to point to MAP sensor or possibly blocked CAT, the car was fine before its 6 months sit up, so I don't think it will be the CAT.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

I had a 2.0 hdi Citroen dispatch van with varied power issues, it was down to a big hole in the intercooler and a fooked turbo

If acceleration improves with increased engine temperature then you can rule out things like turbo, intercooler, MAP, etc, and start to look at the fuel pump, the seals around the spindle on those are renowned for leaking and it sounds like you have the exact symptoms of this occuring.

OK, I will see how it progresses as it gets more running.

Kathy thought I was going to be driving it to work as I have the longer journey :nonono:, silly girl you get the Frenchy crap box I've got an Alfa. :LOL:

I think its the worst car I have ever driven.

OK, I will see how it progresses as it gets more running.

Kathy thought I was going to be driving it to work as I have the longer journey :nonono:, silly girl you get the Frenchy crap box I've got an Alfa. :LOL:

I think its the worst car I have ever driven.

Wait till you drive a swift before you make that comment.

I'm sure there are worse cars, but even my first 146 which was basically hanging was way better.

Not that one the 1.8, which I still miss. :(

The 2.0 never really did it for me, but I'm glad its help others survive. :)

So the Pug has gone from bad to worse, when we first fitted the new starter it started for a few times then made a sound like gears not meshing, after much fiddling we exchanged the starter for another new one only to get the same problem.

Eventually we solved the problem it, there are 3 bolt holes for the starter but we only had 2 bolts, when using the upper 2 bolts we had non meshing gears noise but when we used the upper and lower bolts every thing was fine.

Kathy has been driving the car all week and I drove it again for the first time in a week, it seemed slightly better but still not right.

Today I changed the air filter and put an intake pipe on the filter box that was missing, I also pushed together the pipe that goes from the turbo hose to the EGR as it was loose and leaking black oily muck the same as my 156 does. Whilst I had the pipe off I checked it for splits and it seems fine.

I started and stopped the engine a few times trying to see if the VNT, or whatever system it uses, was moving it didn't appear to move at all.

Went to take it for a drive and as soon as I put the engine under load it cut out, after many attempts at restarting and checking fuel pipes weren't trapped under the airbox it eventually started. Drove it for about 400yds but when I stopped at a roundabout it cut out and wouldn't restart.

Its currently dumped at the side of the road, I would happily leave it there. :(

The fuel pump issue mentioned above would make sense, but worst of al is the fact the starter motor has started to sound like its not engaging the flywheel again and watching pulleys whilst cranking it over confirms this.

What could make this happen, assuming the starter motor hasn't moved. ?

I'm guessing on a 51 plate its getting to the point of being beyond economical repair.

Its well beyond my abilities to fix, if it comes to taking it to a garage the labour cost alone is going to be hideous.