Grimsqueaker

Not Letting Me Have Any Cogs

Hi guys

Im having problems with my 156 selespeed

basically i was driving forwards and went to put it into reverse to reverse onto the driveway (slightly uphill) and i wasnt able to select reverse or any other gear,

eventually pushed the car onto the driveway, found the fluid low left it for a bit, when i returned the pump made its noise longer than usual then i started the car tried to put it into reverse all she done was jerk slightly but no gear was selected ,tried this three times and done the same thing,

topped up the tank with fluid and she does the same but she tried to move forward of her own accord as soon as i started the engine.

there are no selespeed lights on the dash and no nasty noises, so here are my questions

do i need to bleed the system?

is something more sinister going on?

Is there a trouble shooting guide with symptons and so on?

is it Karked?

after checking this site im guessing pump bushes?

when i got the car the guy told me to keep checking the selespeed fluid every week (which i did ) unfortunately where my son in law borrowed it for a month he couldnt be bothered.

im hoping its a fluid level problem and yes i topped up with the correct fluid

I would be inclined to think this is an internal leak of fluid from 1 of 3 places as you haven't mentioned any puddles of oil on the floor, so I would conclude that the leak is either the insertion piston, range piston or back plate port seals, 2 of which would require removal of the back plate, the insertion piston though would require removal of the actuator to replace them.

As a note though, the selespeed side of things should not lose any fluid at all, and as your topping it up all the time then all this missing fluid is inside the gearbox, this is when it becomes a major issue as this fluid is not designed to lubricate the gearbox and does not mix well with gearbox oil, plus if you drained the gearbox the fluid would now probably smell like vomit.

Nothing that can't be fixed though so it's not the end of the world.

Cheers Smaky

i havent had time to check it yet but after looking on here at your how to guides the selespeed no longer seems a mystery.

now all i need is some diagnostic software :)

Cheers Smaky

i havent had time to check it yet but after looking on here at your how to guides the selespeed no longer seems a mystery.

now all i need is some diagnostic software :)

It's not a mystery, simply a reservoir and a pump in the wing connected via pipework to 3 pistons, 3 position sensors, 1 pressure sensor and accumulator in the actuator atop the MANUAL gearbox (which can all be replaced individually) and an ECU (which talks to 2 other ECUs on the car).

I notice your in Thame, if you like you can limp it over and I'll plug it in for you, I'm only 30-40 mins away.

Edited by Smaky

Cheers Smaky i might take you up on that,

However now when i get it started it tries to drive off on its own and then stalls cos i have it on the brakes :(

Latest update went to get the car, battery dead,didnt fancy being towed without power steering or power brakes, so out with the jump leads, alarm goes off and micro switch has broken off the keyfob circuit board ,so its pitch black in a dodgy part of thame alarm going mental and its trying to launch into the car providing the jump .

so i have given up for today probably gonna have to get it brought back on a flat bed :)

Cheers alex,

think i have neutralized it now , weird thing is i opened the sele fluid cap and its now full to the brim it has all returned from wence it came,any ideas?????????