Sign in to follow this  
LJ_GQV

Alternator Question

Anyone know how easy it is to replace the alternator belt on a GTA? (im guessing it has a belt)

It takes about 10 minutes on a bad day.

If you haveapiece of 1/8 bar of a nail to hand then the black pulley on the right (the tensioner) has locking holes that will keep it in the released position whilst your replacing parts and fittig the belt, you simply pull it round with a 15mm ring spanner and pop in the locking pin.

Crankpulley001.jpg

Hope you noticed the 3.2 sticker on the pulley, which itself is faulty in this pic, you can see the rubber peeling from the outpulley and this causes an oscilation and knocking as shown in this vid of a GTA below.

th_Crankpulley003.jpg

Hmm i think mine makes that noise, is that bad? Ill have a check at the weekend to see but i think it does sound a bit like that. Thanks for your help again :thumbs:

Yes it is bad as t will eventually be transfering stresses through to the crank thrust bearings, which keep the crank in the right place so that the rods don't break.

Thanks, so will just replacing the belt hold it all in place? Or is it the pulley which could be faulty? It had the full cambelt service last year just after i bought it so would that have been changed when that was done? Sorry for asking all these questions on the same subject :LOL:

It wouldn't be replaced during a cambelt service, and it's normally the pulley and the tensioner at fault together.

Ok thanks, i had a proper look again last night and looking down from above it doesn't wobble (i can't see it wobbling anyway) and it looks like its running round as it should but ill get that belt ordered up and changed :thumbs: once ive got the belt off will there be anyway of telling if it is faulty or not? Will i be able to move anything etc by hand to make sure it is definatley ok?