Sign in to follow this  
DeeeeC

Water And Cleaner In Vacuum Hose

I decided not to take off my intake manifold to clean injectors. BTW I know the procedure below will not really help the injectors!

So i read about pouring water into the vacuum hose into intake manifold (after throttle).

I put in a few gallons (500ml at a time) very slowly, then revved to 3000 rpm. It took about 2 minutes to steam out the water each 500ml.

A hell of a lot of white steam came out the exhaust.

Then I tried 500ml neat injector cleaner whoa ho! The clouds of dense blue smoke were something to see - again taking about 3 minutes to cear up. Problem is some pooled into the manifold and the engine wouldn't stop. So I kept it at high revs and WOT for a while and it stopped.

Then I added another 500ml water x2. White smoke again.

Then 500ml white spirit x2 and massive clouds of blue smoke again - I'm told that's essentially what injector cleaner is mixed with petrol.

Now I'm going to try this with about another 2l in total of white spirit and some water to see if blue smoke eventually clears.

I must have had a hell of a lot of carbon in there. Also in the past when I did "Italian tune ups" with injector cleaner I just let the car idle through emptying the tank - what I should have done is kept it at 3000 rpm.

My question is, other than waiting until blue smoke clears - how do I know when I'm done? I will probabl do a scan on FES when the smoke stops coming.

EDIT: smoke has stopped coming! Now I put 2L of white spirit in the fuel tank to 10 l unleaded. Running smooth.

FES still says cylinder 3 misfire but has changed from saying "sensor voltage high fatal" to "sensor voltage low fatal".

What does this mean? All spark plugs have become very clean except cylinder 3. Lambdaintegration is staying at 1.01 now rather than 1.09 before.

Edited by DeeeeC

Adding water and white sprirt directly in the manner your doing will only lead to 1 thing, increased compression ratios which add undue force onto the big ends, inceare the running temp of the engine, crack the piston rings, melt pisons, burn out Lambdas and clog up Cats, I would drain the tank and pump through anything else that's left in there and fill her up with 97+ RON then it may save the engine, but you'll still need to replace that Lambda sensor.

Thanks for that Smaky :D

I kind of hid the car away for a while not wanting to know if I totally destroyed it. I have drained all the contaminated fuel out without firing the engine again. Then I turned the engine on the starter with no fuel supply just to see if it still turns - it does thankfully but I know a proper test is needed. I also changed my broken compression tester for a new one, so hopefully that will tell me if I cracked any rings or pistons.

I have my spare injectors posted to me - now I'm removing the intake manifold. I'm finding it hard to remove the power steering reservoir for access. I took off the engine top mount, and the easily accessed top nut for the reservoir. But I have no idea how to open the bottom allen bolt and whatever else holds it on. I disconnected the hoses to it and saved the fluid. Once I get the reservoir off I think it should be plain sailing to get the inlet manifold off and finally put in (new to me) injectors. So please advise. I just want to make it to the Ace cafe, and be an Alfa driver again.

Edited by DeeeeC

I have my spare injectors posted to me - now I'm removing the intake manifold. I'm finding it hard to remove the power steering reservoir for access. I took off the engine top mount, and the easily accessed top nut for the reservoir. But I have no idea how to open the bottom allen bolt and whatever else holds it on. I disconnected the hoses to it and saved the fluid. Once I get the reservoir off I think it should be plain sailing to get the inlet manifold off and finally put in (new to me) injectors. So please advise. I just want to make it to the Ace cafe, and be an Alfa driver again.

Yu need a 1/4" ratchet with 2 x 3" extensions, a bit holder and a 5mm allen bit, then it'll wiggle its way through

• Like 1