Sign in to follow this  
AFLA

Oil For Ts In Hot Climates

Hi,

Climate where I live is mostly 30-45 in summer, averaging 33. Winter is rarely below zero with an average 10.

My daily drive is around 70 Km each way. Averaging 1,000 Km a week.

Typically I don't thrash her too much but I do have the urge to accelerate and pass some beemers or the like. However, I rarely climb above 6500 or so and generally prefer low speed maneuvers as opposed to hi speed touring.

I tend to service every 7000-8000 or so.

Usually Agip (now ENI) 10w-60 full synthetic.

I now am thinking maybe I should go with a lighter oil but am worried the hot climate will play havoc with my big ends. I once ruined one engine this way driving at 45 in the shade and thrashing her about midday (Italian tune up...). I do think this was a case of previous low oil (not by me!!!) and not the mere heat.

She drinks some 750 ml every 1000 Km.

What would you say is the best oil for her?

Should I stick with 10w-60? Or move to 10w-40 semi (ENI brand is ester based) or even 5w-40 for a full synth ester based ENI?

10w-60 is fairly costly around here at some 50-60 GBP for 4 Ltr can.

Edited by AFLA

pERSONALLY i'D DROP TO 10w-40 SEMI SYNTH if it's drinking that much and look into where it is going your climate soesn't warrant any other viscosity, 700/1000 is pretty high and seriously needs sorting out

It has always been like that since the new (from used) engine 40,000 Km ago. No smoke whatsoever. Doesn't look like the breather. Replaced. Cleaned. No obvious signs of oil through there.

So I reckon it's the inlet manifold gasket.

Either that or just the by-design excessive tolerance? Is this for real and I should accept it as TS behavior?

I wouldn't accept that ammount of usage, gaskets are the first place to look, normally rocker cover and inlet manifold, but also the TS exhaust manifold stud can leak and this runs straight into the manifold, doesn't smoke and is normally given away by an oily film up the back of the car.

Thanks Smaky!

I will get my Indy (as it seems more than i can handle these days) on it when he replaces the bushes and examines the front left shock.

There is only dust and brake powder back there. No oily stuff.

Edited by AFLA