Sign in to follow this  
sparky mike

eratic rev counter

Hi all, my 2002 156 1.6 has developed a very eratic rev counter with no change in engine speed, also today with it has come sudden engine cut out and restart when driving, this is my first alfa had a few issues but with the help or the forum the fixes have been straight forward to sort, can anyone help? any ideas?

You need smaky.

He knows all ;). But be patient, he will reply I'm sure. (sometimes he can be absent for a few days, but he does know his stuff)

:thumbs:

I'd suspect loose battery terminals then the crank sensor, have the fault codes read to see if there's a clue there.

Thanks for that Smaky, old sensor taken out and found shards of metal stuck on it and covered in oil i may have found a deeper problem lurking?? fitted new sensor and away she went ran for a few mins then same problem started to occur, new sensor taken out and more shards of metal and oil!!! I fear the flywheel or starter may be worn plus oil seals may be buggered?

I wouldn't run that engine again till the Sump had been removed and the metal flakes investigated, this needs to be checked out before you blow the mill.

The metel flakes were in what i thought was the dry side of the clutch bellhousing? anyway i removed the starter motor and found it to be quite worn, assuming this would be the cause of the flakes iv'e ordered a new one, also i have had a poke around inside with a magnet and pulled out all that i can.

On the original problem I think I have found it to be the multipin connector on top ot the throttle control as i caught it by chance and the electronics came back to life as the key code light was staying on when the cable was moved the light went out noticed by the wife and off it went and when fired up the rev counter was behaving itself, anyway a good clean of the contacts and up to now its been running fine. Thanks again Smaky and i'll keep an eye on the metal flake situation.