Sign in to follow this  
Dman

Help need please

Driving back from Peterborough today when my car cut out...lost all power and when restarted was running rough,then cleared....10 miles further down the road,again loose all power,red warning light come on on dash and the yellow engine sysbol i believ at the top right(cannot find this light in manual so no idea what it is,its looks like a red rectangle with a line on it) hope im not being thick here

Car starts again and does not cut out again,but feels a little slugish,drove slow all the way home.Red light has gone out but yellow light still on...cheers for any help

The red light may have been your hand brake warning, this illuminates for low fluid and worn pads on the front too, the lack of power and sluggish running will be down to the car being in limp mode and will need the code that's present resolving before it sorts itself out.

The red light may have been your hand brake warning, this illuminates for low fluid and worn pads on the front too, the lack of power and sluggish running will be down to the car being in limp mode and will need the code that's present resolving before it sorts itself out.

I have found out the warning light was the Automatic gearbox warning fault light (found it in the handbook)

It states that if the light stay on that the gearbox oil may have got to hot and go into limp mode (which it did)but no idea why the oil had got so hot,had not drivern very far or at any speed.

But no idea why the car was running so rough,almost missfiring to at the same time.

Auto box, right, best thing to do here then is replace the gearbox oil, overheating is a sign of degradation and this will be the cause of the gear issues, the misfires will be down to a coil pack or plug either dieing or drowned in oil from a leaky cover seal. Though it is possible that a split in the air intake duct can cause misfires too.

Auto box, right, best thing to do here then is replace the gearbox oil, overheating is a sign of degradation and this will be the cause of the gear issues, the misfires will be down to a coil pack or plug either dieing or drowned in oil from a leaky cover seal. Though it is possible that a split in the air intake duct can cause misfires too.

Cheers i will get the oil changed