Sign in to follow this  
Davo

The 20 pin connector.....

OK so I have a 2003 147 TS and like most people I have some Selespeed history! It has been smooth sailing since a reconditioned actuator and "brain" replacement 12 months ago. The battery is new, oil level stable and pump activity normal.

Recently I have seen intermittent gear flashing followed by the inevitable drop into neutral and difficulty selecting any gear. When this happens the actuator is clunking away (i.e. sounds right but no gear - stays in neutral). Switching the engine off/on doesn't help so I pop the bonnet, give the 20 pin plug under the battery a rattle and everything comes to life. Problem is it is getting to be a daily issue and therefore needs a permanent fix.

The connector's rubber boots are perished and the wires are visible - I assume I need to undo the connector, clean the pins and sockets and look for any damage. perhaps add some cable ties to keep the halves firmly together and tape up the rubber boots to ensure there is no tension on the wires? Any additional suggestions are welcome.

Also, what is the design of the wiring here - are both sides of the connector hardwired to their respective modules or is the cable+connector able to be replaced separately?

Sydney, downunder I'm afraid (but if you are ever in the neighborhood I'll have a beer in the fridge for you ;)

Hey Smaky, hope the Aussie trip went (or is still going) well ;)

With daily issues and lots of gear number flashing I got stuck into the wiring last monday and I'm going to test the selespeed gods and claim a fix on this one!

Here is what the wiring around the connector looked like (pretty rough...);

dsc0051xs.jpg

The cut wire is a ground line so this was isolated but of more interest was obvious heat damage to about four wires excposing the copper - this was actually great to see because it fits with the symptoms of movement shorting out sensors :yay:

dsc0052xy.jpg

The electrical continuity was fine so I isolated and insulated each wire;

dsc0053xkh.jpg

dsc0054oe.jpg

New cable protection and a weatherproof wrap in electrical tape;

dsc0284pa.jpg

Final fit with some extra protection from a custom heat shield and it all looks much neater :halo1:

dsc0287x.jpg

Five trips over three days and not a single gear flash or drop into neutral and everything feels rock solid again (fingers crossed!)

Cheers

Hey Smaky, hope the Aussie trip went (or is still going) well ;)

With daily issues and lots of gear number flashing I got stuck into the wiring last monday and I'm going to test the selespeed gods and claim a fix on this one!

Here is what the wiring around the connector looked like (pretty rough...);

dsc0051xs.jpg

The cut wire is a ground line so this was isolated but of more interest was obvious heat damage to about four wires excposing the copper - this was actually great to see because it fits with the symptoms of movement shorting out sensors :yay:

dsc0052xy.jpg

The electrical continuity was fine so I isolated and insulated each wire;

dsc0053xkh.jpg

dsc0054oe.jpg

New cable protection and a weatherproof wrap in electrical tape;

dsc0284pa.jpg

Final fit with some extra protection from a custom heat shield and it all looks much neater :halo1:

dsc0287x.jpg

Five trips over three days and not a single gear flash or drop into neutral and everything feels rock solid again (fingers crossed!)

Cheers

Nicely done :thumbs:

Didn't ge to go downunder in the end, trip was canceled (for me) due to striking tanker driver twats over here, when will people realise that when you accept a pay rate in a contract... THAT IS WHAT YOU WILL BE PAID!