Alfa156Melb

rattling under load

I have a rattling sound coming from the engine bay when the engine is under load. it goes away when you coast or decelerate... The rattle sounds a little like a vibrating tin-can with a small washer in it..

This is the cars second motor - the old motor had the same noise too..

Any ideas what it may be?

Without looking at the car (and it's unlikely I will be) I would suspect big ends, or if your luck, a loose heatshield.

Stop running it and investigate asap.

Hey Smaky, I know what big ends sound like, its not that sorta noise.. Its very slight, very high pitch. And, unless there's a wall (tunnel, or concrete barrier) next to the car reflecting the noise back at me, it can't be heard.

I doubt I'll be able to do this, but I'll try to record the noise tomorrow...

Hey Smaky, I know what big ends sound like, its not that sorta noise.. Its very slight, very high pitch. And, unless there's a wall (tunnel, or concrete barrier) next to the car reflecting the noise back at me, it can't be heard.

I doubt I'll be able to do this, but I'll try to record the noise tomorrow...

Ahh, ok, check all your exhast hangars, especially the one just in front of the rear l/h wheel.

Sorry for the delay in replying, had a hectic couple of months..

Nah its not that, besides I recently had the resonator replaced and the mounts were sound as a pound.. besides it sounds like its coming from the front of the car..

Its not getting any worse though...

Check the cat mount on the fron of the block for a cracked braket, or it may even be the cats rattling