Sign in to follow this  
Deemac

Steering Rack

Not really, only ther things which go are the track rod ends, bent track rods and inner ball joints, the rack itself is pretty bullet proof.

The wandering has reduced a fair bit after new track rod ends and yet another 4 wheel alignment, but it's still not 100% Braking on rough roads is skittish. I know this is a "How long is a bit of string?" kind of question, but how common is inner ball joint wear?

Cheers

It's rare, but it does happen, though chances are it's more wishbone related than steering, also things like tyre pressures and buckled wheels will also give the same feeling, maybe even a duff shock or weak spring.

Thanks Alex,

Top and bottom wishbones (original Alfa) done within the last 2 years. ARB 2 years, track trod ends last week Shocks maybe 4/5 years old but seem fine (no bouncy bouncy). Tyre pressures fine and no wobble at high speeds so don't think bucked wheels Don't think it's the springs so that leaves me with inner joints or rack.

It's almost like something is loose. Car will suddenly pull to left (not drastically) with road condition and will have to adjust. Have had garage look at it but only thing found was track rod ends..

MOT due in a month so I guess we'll see what they say...

Cheers

While passing the MOT with no advisories is very welcome, I was kind of hoping that they would find the cause of the problem.

Ah well, another year......

While passing the MOT with no advisories is very welcome, I was kind of hoping that they would find the cause of the problem.

Ah well, another year......

I wonder??? How are your tyre pressures?

32-33psi all round. I've got one of those cigarette lighter electric jobbies.

I'll check pressures at a garage to see how accurate it is.

Cheers

32-33psi all round. I've got one of those cigarette lighter electric jobbies.

I'll check pressures at a garage to see how accurate it is.

Cheers

Try 36psi.