Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

Strut Brace Fitment

So, my new strut brace arrived today, 5 weeks in the making after ordering it from Alfisti.net... :yay:

It didnt take long to fit but there were a couple of things I wanted to bring up here and maybe get some advice....

First.. its not an exact fit.. it took some effort to finally get everything to match up.. sort of.. :$ Here's some pics..

So, as you can see from the pic, the bar doesnt seem level in respect to the car.. the right hand side is higher than the left - is that by design or?

Strut%20-%20front%20view.jpg

And, looking at the next pic, you can see the brace ends aren't neat..

Strut%20End.jpg

Could this 'twist' in the bar be due to the car not having settled yet? or perhaps uneven ground when fitted?

Such a waste of money those are the whole inch away from the bulkhead in which it is mounted does nothing to stiffen the chassis, especially when it's got 2 flexible joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk! Because I'm on tour!

It didn't cost much, and it has actually made a significant difference to mid corner stability and turn in, which is now faster for some reason. It's also quietened down most of the rattles and squeaks coming from the front area.. not that there were that many to start with.

With the harder springs, I wanted something to keep the chassis in good condition and hold the car together better... as I said, the squeaks are gone, so job done...

I didn't expect any handling improvement at all, mostly for the reason you point out. So I'm quite surprised about that.

I'd say it's in my head, but her indoors took it to the supermaket the other day, She had no idea I'd fitted it, or that it had even arrived in the mail.. and she came back asking why the car felt so good / different...

So I guess there's something in it... Anyway, my main hope is to prevent the car loosening up as it gets older.. I hope that it helps in that regard...

The word "Placebo" has sprung to mind, the other work you've done on the suspension is more likely to have caused that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk! Because I'm on tour!

Drop links? That's all ive done to the suspension so far.. I haven't got around to the wishbones yet..

Placebo? .... bah :coat: