Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

Clutch adjustment position

Smaky.. I plugged in Alfa Diag today and noticed that the clutch adjustment position as reported in diagnostics is 17.34mm.

According to your guide in Alfa156.net, the clutch needs adjusting.. However my question is, could Alfa Diag be wrong? I ask because the gears feel fine, the changes are smooth... all seems okish - not perfect... I don't expect perfect.

Also my mechanic would have checked this when the motor went back in. he's mentioned to me before how important it is that the clutch ne adjusted to 28.5 mm, So I'd be surprised if he'd miss it..?

What do you think?

Smaky.. I plugged in Alfa Diag today and noticed that the clutch adjustment position as reported in diagnostics is 17.34mm.

According to your guide in Alfa156.net, the clutch needs adjusting.. However my question is, could Alfa Diag be wrong? I ask because the gears feel fine, the changes are smooth... all seems okish - not perfect... I don't expect perfect.

Also my mechanic would have checked this when the motor went back in. he's mentioned to me before how important it is that the clutch ne adjusted to 28.5 mm, So I'd be surprised if he'd miss it..?

What do you think?

It is important that this is set correctly, but the limit is 28 - 28.5mm and the closer to 28mm you can get it the better, if you got a reading of around 17mm then I suspect you had the engine running, the correct way to check is to have the key at MAR, engine not running, select gears a few times and then back to N, then check the rod length. this check is imprtant on the selespeeds and is a reason why most garages cannot service them correctly... they just don't have the kit or the knowledge to do the job right.

OK, the engine had not been run all day, I checked the rod length after replacing the drop links.. I did select a few gears after seeing that reading.. but it didnt change.

That said, I will go out side now and follow your proceedure and see what we come up with.

Cheers.

Had it connected to the wrong Sele ECU.. once connected to the Correct one.. the measurement was correct.. 28.10mm

Amazing... lol.

Anyway.. It was slightly out of adjustment, so I followed the guide, set it to 28mm.. actually it turned out to be 28.1mm after I tightened the lock nut.

Put it all back togetther and only after reinstalling the battery, I relaised I forgot to but the dust cover back on the clutch actuator. :facepalm: So, later today I'll pull it all apart again and fix that... eh.

One thing though, the clutch bleed routine took ages (over 10 mins), then disconnected. How long should it normally take?

Anyway, given it disconnected, I went straight to calibrate after that.. and all worked fine. The system is as perfect as it's ever been...

One thing though, the clutch bleed routine took ages (over 10 mins), then disconnected. How long should it normally take?

Anyway, given it disconnected, I went straight to calibrate after that.. and all worked fine. The system is as perfect as it's ever been...

It's a problem with Alfadiag, basically I don't use that software anymore due tothe many glitches in the program and the lackluster support, AD had its moment in the spotlight and was a savoiour to owners upto 3 years ago, but since then Fiatecuscan is the one to get, I don't even use my Examiner anymore because of the functionality of Yanis well supported script.

I'll download it and have a look..

One thing though, for the 2003 pre facelift 156 2.0JTS, which Selespeed has it got?

Fount the answer - CFC208f

But with Fiatecuscan all you have to do is go Alfa>156 jts Selespeed>Gearbox>and pick the only choice there.

I noticed that. actually the software looks great and up to date.. AD looks like a Windows 95 app.

Pity, I only paid for AD a week ago.

Anyway, I'll play with it some more, and probably buy a licence..