Sign in to follow this  
Jamz3k

How to diagnose a faulty driveshaft

After much head scratching as I'm not very mechanically minded, I have came to the conclusion I may have a damaged drivers side driveshaft.

How can my physically check that this is the case? what am I actually looking for?

Jack up and support the offending side, get unerneah and hld the inner flange of the shaft steady whilst gently rocking the wheel and feeling for a kock as it changes direction, but be careful not to mistake a knocking CV joint for loose flange bolts or it will be an expensive mistake.

cheers as ever smaky!

Checked both drivers and passengers side. The drivers side literally rattles in my hand so I assume that is the culprit.

I checked the flange bolts and they are in tight so its new driveshaft time.

Can the driveshaft of any year 1.6 twinspark 147 fit it?

cheers as ever smaky!

Checked both drivers and passengers side. The drivers side literally rattles in my hand so I assume that is the culprit.

I checked the flange bolts and they are in tight so its new driveshaft time.

Can the driveshaft of any year 1.6 twinspark 147 fit it?

You can strip and clean and regrease them before you go through the pain of buying new.

Just an update Smaky, I ended up getting on the job training on how to fit a drive shaft with my local alfa mechanic and all is well.

On a side note, I thought the 3rd gear sychro was on its way out in my car for the past 18months as it crunches and jumped out of gear, since the replacement driveshaft my gearbox has been good as gold!

Thanks for all the advice!