Sign in to follow this  
Jamz3k

Front knocking under acceleration

Another month another mystery.

When accelerating my car is randomly making a knocking noise from the front. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does occur it is just when accelerating. I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with the rotation of the wheels as I've tested that theory by accelerating hardish then dipping the clutch and the sound goes away.

So really all I can tell you is that it seems to only happen when the engine is under load, the knocking itself sounds more like a plastic knocking than metallic.

Any ideas?

Another month another mystery.

When accelerating my car is randomly making a knocking noise from the front. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does occur it is just when accelerating. I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with the rotation of the wheels as I've tested that theory by accelerating hardish then dipping the clutch and the sound goes away.

So really all I can tell you is that it seems to only happen when the engine is under load, the knocking itself sounds more like a plastic knocking than metallic.

Any ideas?

Refresh my memory on the engine which is fitted?

Check the 6 hex bolts connecting the driveshafts are tight on each side, the engine mount bolts are tight and that you have no play in the lower wishbone bushes for starters.

Smaky, I had the front end up on axle stands earlier and whilst checking the front wheels, I noticed that if I span the wheels forwards the engine jolted a little forward and the same when I span the wheels backwards.

Should there be any movement there? or is my engine mounts knackered?

It shouldn't really be noticable when you spin them by hand, so I'd be looking at the engine mounts, specifically the top one.