Sign in to follow this  
StescoG66

Clonk/free play steering rack

As above free play clonk from o/s steering rack. I fear the worst . . . .tie rods done last year am told it could be a new rack. Although also led to believe it could be bushings within the rack that are worn. Are these replaceable paarts and if so what advice can anyone give? Just couldn't face another big fucking bill . . .

There are 2 joints on each side, the inner rod joint and the track rod end, if it's clunking then it may be the inner rod joint which is worn, these take about an hour to do.

The side that is clunking was done last year . . . Inner rod joint is the piece other wise known as tie rod or track rod am I correct??

The side that is clunking was done last year . . . Inner rod joint is the piece other wise known as tie rod or track rod am I correct??

Yes it can be known as that, but there is 3 seperate pieces on either end of the main ram, A ball joint, track rod and track rod end, but on a few occasions the inner ball joint goes and because it is left a while this allows the the ram to bounce inside the main body damaging the seals, bushings and casing.