Sign in to follow this  
ACAPULCO AL

159 worn front wheel bearings?

i can hear a faint, high-pitched squealing noise from the front o/s wheel on my 159, almost always in right-hand turns. could this be the breaks fouling the disc slightly or does it sounds more like the wheel bearings giving up?

It more than likely is the first which is caused by the second, but if you have the brembos on it I would start by servicing the pistons in the calipers as they have a tendancy to not retract equally when you release the pedal, it's not just an alfa thing, that happens on all cars with brembos.

cheers smaky. no brembos though, just the standard alfa ones on the non-Ti models. gus at alfatune stuck some new OEM pads on back in february, he said the discs had a slight crown to them in the centre which would lead to them squealing a little once the pads had bedded in, and he was right. don't mind the brakes fouling ever so slightly on turning, as long as it's not gonna cause any damage other than wearing the pads & discs a bit quicker??

Crowning of a disc (or wearing more on the outside of the circumfrence is caused by failing wheel bearings or damaged sliders not allowing the caliper to grip evenly accross the disc.