Sign in to follow this  
Rewe

Which Brera?

What issues do Breras develop as they get older? Thinking between about 2008ish and about 50-80K. Which are generic and which are engine related? Which is the most robust engine to get? Are 2.2s still cheaper to buy than 3.2s? Do 2.4s command a premium that I won't ever get back.

By way of context, I currently do about 5000 miles per year in my GTV and the slight extra fuel costs over a TS has been more than offset by almost complete reliability and and the absence of bills. Insurance costs are insignificant. I don't really use all of the V6 performance (a TS would have been fine for me in that respect) it's just I really wanted a V6 and, given how I use a car at the moment, it was the financially sensible choice. Even given a recent drop in GTV values, if I sold it now it would represent very cheap motoring for the last 4 years. Question is, can I repeat the same trick with a Brera? If so which engine/model etc. Has anyone put together a buyers guide for older Breras yet? Thanks in advance.

Edit - bollocks, have I put this in the wrong place?

I went through a similar thought process recently moving from a GTA which had been incredibly expensive to run over the 3.5 years I had it.

I'd driven a Brera when they first came out and wasn't that blown away by it, it felt lumbering and soft and the seats were like a hard slab with little or no support. Alfa have done a lot to remove weight, tighten up dynamics and evolve the driving experience in the intervening years and I went for a facelift Brera 2.2 last week after driving a facelift diseasel with auto and a manual petrol down at Veloces.

The diseasel was nice, but the auto took away some of the alfaness and the noise the 2.4 makes when you start it will either have no affect on your buying decision or will have a little voice in the back of your head screaming NO NO NO NO NO ;)

I do similar mileage to you and you will not see any benefit in consumption over a 2.2 realistically as your journeys will be too short for the engine and ancilliary systems to get up to working temperature so will use more fuel, the only real bonus I can think of is the tuning potential of the JTD but then, the JTD auto I drove was nearly 4K more for a car with a worse spec and more miles...

I really do think the 2.2 is a very good engine, it's incredibly smooth (getting past the flutter in 1st gear which can be remedied with a remap) and in gear performance is punchier than you'd expect, also coupled with it's lighter suspension components (2008 MY is 100KG lighter than previous cars) and better chassis dynamics I honestly feel that point to point my 2.2 is a quicker car than my GTA was despite the GTA having been modified quite substantially.

I'm loving my new car and so far have no regrets moving to a more 'grown up' model in Alfa's range.

Go test drive some cars and see what you like is the best advice I can give.

hope this helps.

I'll start with the engine specifid faults that I've come across so far (# of times I've seen it):

2.2 JTS -

High pressure fuel pump drive pegs shearing off causing starting problems in most cases. (4X)

Exhaust cam shearing off between the 3 and 4 pots, obviously not good news. (2X)

Inner CV joints. (X 5ish)

High oil consumption (same old problem with HS breather that the TS has). (X2)

3.2 V6 (GM minging unit) -

Faulty chain tensioner. (X1)

Dead Alternator. (X1)

2.4 JTDm -

Cambelt failure at around 40K miles. Various causes from failed tensioner / idler / waterpumps(X6)

EGR blockages. (X ALL)

Split turbo hoses, or rubbing. (X ALL)

Dead ECU. (X2)

Faulty injector. (X1)

Broken wiring loom o the rear of the engine. (X2)

DMF and clutch.(X8)

1750 TBi -

Blown turbo.(X1)

Sticking tappets due to the multiair system, basically clogging up just like the EGRs do on JTDms. (X1)

Inner CV joint. (X1)

Now onto the cross range issues -

Body computer failure (X4), they share the computer of the 147, so if you have a light warning with no bulbs blown you need to check the light unit earths asap and hope they are the problem. Also look out for tail lights dimly lit and battery drain overnight.

Bosch ABS 8, the bain of my life at the moment, shared between the late 147, Brera, 159 and 946, this unit is causing all sorts of issues from just outright failure of the ABS to work when needed through to one case when it was blowing the fuse for the key release, trapping the key in the dash meaning you had to split it down to manually release the fob.

The old seat moving airbag issue is there but what is an Alfa if the red bag light isn't on?

Suspension wise I haven't had to sort anything that wasn't self inflicted but as the cars start to appraoch 5 years old I'm expecting to start hearing about excessive play in pin/bush failures, but that happens to all cars.

So to conclude, In my opinion, the car to get from this range is the 1750TBi, it may be the runt of the litter power and torque wise as well as 0.9 seconds off the 3.2 on the 0-62 time and 6Mph short on the top end but get the turbo spinning and you'll leave most others behind.

For pure driving pleasure though the V6 Q4 is the one, point and go 4wd system that is very forgiving but positive in its performance, just know that it's a Signum engine thoough is the only thing I'd hate about it.

I haven't commented on the 2.0 JTDm because I don't know anyone with one and haven't yet seen one.

The 2.4 JTDm, diesel in a coupe... are you mad? well great economy, figures to equal the 2.2 of the line, low down torque for that caravan you must own if you have a tractor and what's that??? the lowest emmisions of the range meaning the lowest tax rate of the models, but with the cost of diesel rocketing I calculate that mile for mile moring will be cheaper in the 1750 TBi... aslong as the turbo use is restrained.

Just remember though, I only get to see the crs when they have problems, there are more cars out there that will not have an issue so don't be scared and happy fisting. :congrats:

Thanks to both of you, plenty of food for thought. Remember, I'm looking at the cheap end of the Brera market. I think that rules the TBi and the 2.4 out. 3.2 seems tougher than the 2.2 then? Could I find a gem out there or do I really need to spend 5 digits? Would it be better to wait till they are older still and get one that someone else has spent a fortune on?

don't be scared and happy fisting. :congrats:

:cry: <------ my face if that ever happened to me!