Sillyspeed

Sele Clutch Rod Position Technical Q

Hi there,

I have a technical question about the selespeed clutch rod actuator position. I know that it's supposed to be within a certain value ~28 mm, but what causes the position to (typically) increase, often to 30+ mm? Is it clutch wear, or something else?

Any why is it so important that it stays within the particular range, when it appears to function properly (but maybe not perfectly) even at 29 or 30 mm? Is it a sensitivity issue in the actuator that the ecu can't compensate for?

I'm asking out of pure curiosity. I know that my own is around 31 mm, but haven't done anything about it yet. Last time I had the car in the workshop for a different sele issue I asked them to adjust it, but they said that it was not necessary and that the system compensated for clutch wear or something like that. I didn't stay to argue...

Another thing: any idea why my system seems to be operating within 42-53 bar? Is it a software (MES) artifact?

See plot here: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/483809-156-selespeed-circuit-pressure-and-accumulator.html

Edited by Sillyspeed

It is usually due to clutch plate wear or the release bearing collapsing.

The distance is critical as too long and the clutch will not disengage and the rod will punch out the back of the actuator, too short and it's just like not pressing the pedal down.

Thanks for the reply :)

What do you think about the slightly-off pressure range?

Something to do with multiecuscan or can the values be correct?

(if you are up to it Smaky, I will make a thread about my JTS's 5-years-developing MSCF with P0420s and P0430s with recent sprinkles of P0156, P1161 and P2237 ;-)

sele%2Bpressure%2Bxl.PNG

Edited by Sillyspeed