Sign in to follow this  
Daffo

Another 156 'Squeak'

I, like Al, have a squeak (well, not me you understand).

It's coming from the front offside and must be suspension related as when I drive over a bump, or dead body in the road, there follows a sort of 'squelching' sound. Nothing heard when driving under normal conditions, and nothing heard when turning corners.

Anything that springs to mind guys?

Bella's going for her MOT on Friday morning. I always get very nervous when it's MOT time. :sad:

OK the general rule for suspension noises is:

1, Constant Rumbling by the feet - Anti Roll Bar Bushes, replace the ARB (and droplinks).

2, Rumbling by the feet on uneven raods - Drop link balljoint loose, replace droplink.

3, Knock from floor area and steering wandering - Lower wishbone bushes or balljoint, replace lower arm.

4, Knocking noise from knee high area - Worn upper arm bushes or ball joint - replace upper arm.

5, Squeaking suspension over bumps - Dry upper arm bushes, Remove arm and center pin from bushes, apply red rubber grease and rebuild.

6, Clunk when turning the steering along with car sitting uneven side to side - snapped spring, Replace springs as axle pair (you'll probablyfind the shocks are shot too at thispoint).

Those are just the common reasons for the noises but there are other things that happen which can cause similar noises in those areas, the worst of which I have found so far is a cracked shock fork which rocked and knocked over the bumps, scuffed the driveshaft and took 20 mins to replace.

I would say yours is #5

No idea how to do what you say! I'll find out though...

P.S. Bella had her MOT last Friday. She failed but only because my front tyres were worn!

I'm well happy with that result! (Thanks Alex...) :yay:

Just noticed yoou have the 1.6, as this is the lightest engine in the class then any extra weight in the boot lifts the front, this add -ve camber to the wheels, which with loads of twisty stuff will wear the outsides of the tyres quicker.

Possibly you have over-rated springs inthe front.

Just noticed yoou have the 1.6, as this is the lightest engine in the class then any extra weight in the boot lifts the front, this add -ve camber to the wheels, which with loads of twisty stuff will wear the outsides of the tyres quicker.

Possibly you have over-rated springs inthe front.

Roger that!

Now there's a hell of a rattle coming from rear nearside too! Only when I drive over a bump or suchlike. I've been crawling around under the car but can't find anything loose...

Why can't she just behave herself? :LOL:

If it's tinny then probably a loose heatshiel, otherwise anything from the bushes to a snapped spring is possible, the springstend to snap inside the sleeve and it's not really that noticable unless you specifically look for it.

If it's tinny then probably a loose heatshiel, otherwise anything from the bushes to a snapped spring is possible, the springstend to snap inside the sleeve and it's not really that noticable unless you specifically look for it.

Nah, it's very 'tinny'. Bloody annoying though!

Just to err on the side of caution, I'll take her back to the garage and ask them to get her on the ramps for a good look.

BTW Alex, did you tell me that I need a new resistor for the cooling fan, or was everything OK the last time you looked at her?

I remember that you told me that my front discs were a bit thin. Might as well replace those buggers soon. Would you have some spare time next month maybe? :cry2:

If you pull the temp sensor plug off with the ignition at MAR then the fan should run, if it doesn't then yes you'll probably need a resistor and yes I'll have time at some point, just these blasted day trips to Carterton now do my head in, the place is full of tards that think a speed ramp is a zebra crossing and get offended whenI test my horn.....apparently "it's off the richter scale!!!" (Oxford evening star) there was me thinking that was for earthquakes .

If you pull the temp sensor plug off with the ignition at MAR then the fan should run, if it doesn't then yes you'll probably need a resistor and yes I'll have time at some point, just these blasted day trips to Carterton now do my head in, the place is full of tards that think a speed ramp is a zebra crossing and get offended whenI test my horn.....apparently "it's off the richter scale!!!" (Oxford evening star) there was me thinking that was for earthquakes .

Just kill them then! No great loss, after all...

Thanks - See you sometime in September then. :thumbs:

I almost did today, right by the co-op a daft twat decided that they'd just go for it as I as doing 20 with about 3m between us, prat didn't look and was on the phone too, he threw some good shapes though in response to the klaxon check, PMSL.