Sign in to follow this  
Aaamrit145QV

Bad Earth?

Hello all,

Hoping someone can help.

over the weekend on my phase 2 145 QV to sort the

Replaced my throttle body which had a new stepper motor already fitted to it which had been correctly calibrated, ran Multiecuscan before and no errors were present.

Straight forward job, no issues - reset ecu / recalibrated via Multiecuscan and now have a rock steady idle without any fluctuation.

However, have found a new error after having done this:

P1653 - Variable Camshaft Timing Control - No Signal/Intermitent

Have been told via the 145 forum its the variator solenoid, which rarely fails so need to look at connector/loom etc which I have done and still getting the above error.

Cleared it, Did another Full Reset and it pops up straight away

Have back tracked and check all connections/relays etc. No issues that I can see.

The only thing I did different when fitting the new throttle body is add some red hylomar to it to eliminate any possible air leaks.

There is a brown earth left of the ECU which is the only thing I havent checked as have no multimeter.

Could the use of the additional gasket be causing a poor earth and this error?

Will be taking it apart again tomorrow either way!

Any help appreciated!

Don't take it apart, it's not the ECU earth (if it was then you'd have about 10 codes coming up which wouldn't clear), If you get a multimeter then you can check there is continuity through the variator solenoid, or you can use MES and check it through "ACTUATORS" in the engine ECU, but I suspect 1 of 2 things has happened, either a wire has snapped off of the relays in front of the battery or you've managed to bend a pin under the main ECU plugs on top of the throttle body. It is possible that the wires between the ECU and the Vatiator solenoid are damaged but unlikely.

Thanks again Smaky,

Will check ECU pins first and the other bits and report back.

Didnt go anywhere near the relays but will be borrowing a multimeter today to check all.

Thanks again

Smaky you genius!

Fixed! A pair of need nose pliers and a steady hand = Happy Alfa!

Now just need to pass the dreaded MOT tomorrow!

Thanks again for the priceless advice.